No announcement yet.

18 or 20 oz. gloves for sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 or 20 oz. gloves for sparring?

I'm going to order some new gloves for sparring purposes today. I've been using 20 oz. gloves in sparring but am wondering if 18 oz. would be better.

Thanks.

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    I'm going to order some new gloves for sparring purposes today. I've been using 20 oz. gloves in sparring but am wondering if 18 oz. would be better.

Thanks.
    If you're a supremely large heavyweight with a hell of a lot of power and you don't want to kill your sparring partner, opt for the 20 ounce. If you're more towards normal and you want better accuracy, opt for the 18 ounce. Big gloves have some pros and cons.

Pros:
    They work your stamina, speed, and power slightly more than smaller gloves do.

Cons:
    They deplete your punch accuracy, and often diminish your defensive skills (because you have a lot larger gloves to block with and protect you, it gives you a "false defense", as 10 ounce pro fight gloves are obviously smaller).

I myself prefer 16 or 18 ounce sparring gloves, and 14 or 16 ounce training gloves.

Comment

I'm a middleweight i use 16 oz.....and so does the rest of my gym...we get the odd fool that spars with 12s and 14s

Comment

I'm 228lbs, hit the bag with 18oz to get used to the extra weight, then when I spar with 16oz, they feel lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyBoyT View Post
          I'm a middleweight i use 16 oz.....and so does the rest of my gym...we get the odd fool that spars with 12s and 14s
          why's that? there ARE advantages in sparring with 12oz and 14oz. pro boxers in my gym (vazquez jr specifically) spar with IMF 12oz to get used to the size and lightness. heck, pacquiao spars with 12oz and trains with 8-10oz gloves

there are pros and cons to each method. you don't wanna hurt your sparring partners, but after certain level, they are there to make you be at your best, not to be protected

lol but if it's a noob wearing them, then yeah, spark that fool

Comment

Originally posted by fdotorres View Post
            why's that? there ARE advantages in sparring with 12oz and 14oz. pro boxers in my gym (vazquez jr specifically) spar with IMF 12oz to get used to the size and lightness. heck, pacquiao spars with 12oz and trains with 8-10oz gloves

there are pros and cons to each method. you don't wanna hurt your sparring partners, but after certain level, they are there to make you be at your best, not to be protected.

lol but if it's a noob wearing them, then yeah, spark that fool
            I agree

We use 10-14oz, sometimes 16oz, down in my gym. I prefer 12-14oz, mostly 12oz, when sparring. Going with bigger gloves gives you a somewhat false level of safety.

If I want to train hand speed I would use heavier gloves on the bag or use dumbbells.

Comment

I train with 16oz

Spar with 12oz.

Comment

Use 20 **** it........

Comment

I just use 16oz's for sparring 10oz's for the bag and pads, as does everyone else I know.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
                    I just use 16oz's for sparring 10oz's for the bag and pads, as does everyone else I know.
                    i use 8oz for the bag and pads, and 12-16 oz for sparring. it all depends on what the other dude wants to use and if he or me are preparing for some competition

but yeah, going small and light for training is the way to go IMO

Comment

Working...
                    X