Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Lincoln a racist!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back then it was socially accepted not considered to be racism. However, he was a racist. As for the Emancipation Proclamation, he was not sure he wanted to sign it even though it was his idea. He was maneuvered into doing so for several reasons:

1. The Civil War began as a war to reunite the country. This was an unconstitutional act. The constitution grants the states right to secede. Forcing states back in the Union directly violated state's rights and the Constitution. After a year or so of the war, the abolitionists began to gain more power and the thrust of the war became that of freeing the slaves.

2. He was told that either he would sign the Emancipation Proclamation or he would not be reelected for a second term.

3. The signing of the document would be an excellent way to keep any European intervention (British and French especially) our of the war. Even though cotton from the South was needed in Europe the Emancipation Proclamation would effectively limit trade with the South. Slavery had been abolished throughout Europe for quite some time and no European country would want to be known as one which was approving of slavery by trading with a slave-based economy.

4. Lincoln himself owned slaves and the Emancipation Proclamation did nothing for the slaves that were already owned or below the Mason-Dixie Line, where the Proclamation did not have any jurisdiction.

Comment

The whole concept of him being "racist" in the early years is highly possible.

But isn't it possible that he changed his mind? Isn't that what we try to do with people everyday when we want them to see our point of view? Debates try to get people to "change their minds" and look at a different perspective.

So whether or not he was "racist" beforehand, in the end, he freed the slaves and put forward thinking out there. Even John Wilkes Booth couldn't stop what he started, even though men after Linclon tried with the Black Codes and other attempts at stifling the freedmen.

Comment

I don't know about a racist, but Lincoln was definitely a president.

Comment

Originally posted by nance View Post
          The whole concept of him being "racist" in the early years is highly possible.

But isn't it possible that he changed his mind? Isn't that what we try to do with people everyday when we want them to see our point of view? Debates try to get people to "change their minds" and look at a different perspective.

So whether or not he was "racist" beforehand, in the end, he freed the slaves and put forward thinking out there. Even John Wilkes Booth couldn't stop what he started, even though men after Linclon tried with the Black Codes and other attempts at stifling the freedmen.
          But he held his abolitionist views at the same time he said the anti-Black stuff we are quoting, not later.

Lincoln thought Blacks were inferior and would never be on equal footing with Whites on the bais of natural abilities and merit, but that this was no excuse for Blacks to be enslaved.

Comment

The car company founder?

Comment

yea he was a racist.. he only freed the slaves because he had too.. i dont think he gave a **** about black people

Comment

Originally posted by tyson View Post
                The car company founder?
                I has one.......

Comment

would mizzou hate me if he found out i was a ****sexual negro?

Comment

Working...
                  X