Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dan Geale - an example of what is wrong with Australian boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Geale - an example of what is wrong with Australian boxing?

Daniel Geale is one of the best fighters we have at the moment. He has established himself in the Ring's Top 10 at 160 pounds. He is probably our fourth best fighter and our best "local" fighter.

Having said that there is no way Dan Geale is at the level necessary to be solely a PPV fighter. When was the last time you didn't have to pay $50 to watch Geale fight? March 2009? A year and a half ago?

His best wins are what? Dawson and Kariuki? How does this constitute a PPV fighter? I accept that the exposure that the likes of Green and Mundine have received mean that they are exclusively PPV fighters. I don't necessarily like it but I accept it and when they fight reasonable opposition I typically buy the card, but Daniel Geale?

Note that I like Geale and have supported him in all his fights, but it is just ridiculous that Geale v [insert opponent] is now a $50 event.

There is no way the sport can develop any further in this country with this stuff going on. To be honest I see it retracting if anything. What's next? Lenny Zapp to only fight on PPV cards?

Billy Dib should have blown up in Australia by now, he is the closest thing to "Aussie Ricky Hatton".

Plus his division is stacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
      Billy Dib should have blown up in Australia by now, he is the closest thing to "Aussie Ricky Hatton".

Plus his division is stacked.
      Haha. Dib is a horrible prick. He has some talent but he is boring to watch when in against decent opposition IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
        Haha. Dib is a horrible prick. He has some talent but he is boring to watch when in against decent opposition IMO.
        You are a ****ing wanker nuff said

Comment

I dunno if it's fair to say he's an example of what wrong with boxing here, but I think it is safe to say he's a part of a larger problem - the pay per view model of showing fights sucks ass, but too many people are making money from it for it to change. Sadly it's only logical that the promoters and others involved will try to squeeze out as many PPV's as they can to get those dollars, and if uninspiring main events/cards in general happen because of it and boxing becomes less and less relevant to the general public as a result then there's not much anyone can do.

I'm sure some will disagree and I don't mean to offend, but it's frustrating when you see this sort of thing happen... boxing needs new blood and new fans if it wants to stay healthy, and expecting people to part with 50 bucks or whatever and a few hours of their weekend to catch a decent fight isn't going to cut it. Hell, I'm a boxing fan and there's plenty I'd rather be doing on a Sunday than watching a lot of these fights that make it to PPV.

Comment

$50 PPV gets you Mayweather-Mosley in the States. Ridiculous to be paying it here for this card, even though it is a good card. I agree with Dan.

Comment

Yeah paying $50 everytime Geale fights is a rip off. But......

This is a pretty damn good card. You have Daniel Geale vs Roman Karmazin, who is coming off a draw with current IBF champ Sebastian Sylvester, & Geale who is Ring Rated and has only lost 1 out of 24.

Aswell as this, you also have another world title elimenator between unbeaten puncher Leonardo Zappavigna & fellow big puncher Ji-Hoon Kim. This has the making of a war.....

Not much, but also former world title challager's Shannon Taylor & Jamie Pittman apperar on the bill to.

I think this card is worth buying, if you got any extra cash going

Comment

I agree with your post Dan.

This Card on PPV is a beyond a joke.

Daniel Geale is one of the best fighters we have at the moment. He has established himself in the Ring's Top 10 at 160 pounds. He is probably our fourth best fighter and our best "local" fighter.

Having said that there is no way Dan Geale is at the level necessary to be solely a PPV fighter. When was the last time you didn't have to pay $50 to watch Geale fight? March 2009? A year and a half ago?

His best wins are what? Dawson and Kariuki? How does this constitute a PPV fighter? I accept that the exposure that the likes of Green and Mundine have received mean that they are exclusively PPV fighters. I don't necessarily like it but I accept it and when they fight reasonable opposition I typically buy the card, but Daniel Geale?

Note that I like Geale and have supported him in all his fights, but it is just ridiculous that Geale v [insert opponent] is now a $50 event.

There is no way the sport can develop any further in this country with this stuff going on. To be honest I see it retracting if anything. What's next? Lenny Zapp to only fight on PPV cards?

Comment

Yeah, it seems most people aside from Ult understand that this is a problem for our sport.

Comment

Yeah, it seems most people aside from Ult understand that this is a problem for our sport.
                    The problem our sport has is hardcore fans like you are tight arses

And whats with the ULT thing?

Comment

Working...
                    X