Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Byrd Should Be Inducted Into The IBHOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Byrd Should Be Inducted Into The IBHOF?

I really belive this. Alot of the old time fighters gets tons of credit for beating bigger men and being a gaint slayer and rightly so. But I dont feel Byrd gets his full credit.

He was 22 year old Silver Olyimpic medalist at MIDDLEWEIGHT.

Due to dieting & dedication Byrd decided to EAT his way to heavyweight. He stood just 5''11 and was a natural Super Middleweight and never had KO power.

But yet managed to defeat 27-0 Vitali Klitschko, David Tua, & Evander Holyfield.

He also beat decent contenders Maurice Harris, Elieser Castillo, Ross Puritty(Byrd beat Puritty right before Purritty beat Wladamir), Fres Oquendo, Jameel McCline, & DaVarryl Williamson.

Add to that he was also a two time champ and once rated #1 at HW.

I feel he should be inducted into the IBHOF. I find his stats & accomplishments impressive.

Byrd never got the credit he deserved for making Vitali tap.

People always cry about the shoulder, but it was obvious from round 1 that Vitali wasnt gonna KO a guy who moved so slick in the ring. An accumulation puncher is never going to win against a guy like that. You need a cannon like Ike or Wlad to slow him down.

Comment

I disagree,the Hall of fame is suppose to be reserved for greatness.

Comment

I agree,the Hall of fame is reserved for greatness.

Comment

Byrd was an overachiever and a class act, but he has no business in the HOF.

Comment

Sorry...

There are so many much worthier candidates for induction into the HOF than Chris Byrd!
            No way he gets in.

Comment

I think he just misses the hall. I wish he would have established himself as a supermiddle or lightheavy, instead of just jumping to Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                This.

While he does have the W over Vitali, he certainly didn't beat him. Really though, Byrd was just a champion. Nothing more, nothing less. He did some good stuff, was a nice guy, decent fighter but in no way should have ever be considered for the HOF. Ever.

I like watching him and maybe if he'd been a little smarter with his career by trying to stay down and get some titles from 168-175-200 and up he could have had a case but he was a brief titlist, and didn't have much of a career that stands out enough to be considered an ATG.

That's what it is. The HOF is for the ATGs of boxing and for the very best of each era. Not the solid guys, not the popular guys, not the could have been great guys, but the very, very best. That means the guys that set themselves well apart from the rest in a single division or with their general accomplishments. The Roy Jones', James Toney's, Pac's, Mayweather's, Hopkins', Malignaggi's, Holyfield's, Tyson's, David Diaz's, Marquez's etc.

Byrd was a decent champ. Not a HOFer.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  But Jess Willard, Laszlo Papp do?

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect Plex View Post
                    But Jess Willard, Laszlo Papp do?

Papp is an unusual case, but Willard is only there based on one fight against a tired old champion.

It comes down to whether or not the weakest link lowers the standard forever. If it does, there are plenty of other past champions/contenders who have been snubbed as well. If you put Byrd in, can you really keep John Ruiz out too? Take away the injury aided win over Vitali and there isn't much difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X