Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has pulled the greatest pych job in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239
    For my money it's Ali over Liston hands down.

I agree and I don't think anything else comes close. The length Ali (Clay) went to get into Liston's head was unbelievable. Putting a bear trap on Liston's Lawn after midnight, waking him up with a megaphone, was not something I think was seen before or since . He also made it funny with the "bear huntin " tour bus and jacket .

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      I agree and I don't think anything else comes close. The length Ali (Clay) went to get into Liston's head was unbelievable. Putting a bear trap on Liston's Lawn after midnight, waking him up with a megaphone, was not something I think was seen before or since . He also made it funny with the "bear huntin " tour bus and jacket .

It has be said that liston was in prison and not scared of any of the imates except crazy people which is what clay was trying to portray himself as.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post

Just the mere fact he portrayed himself to not be afraid of Liston, had the mind games won.

Liston wasn't used to people not being intimidated by him.

He later admitted he was afraid of Liston, but he did in great job in hiding it.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Just the mere fact he portrayed himself to not be afraid of Liston, had the mind games won.

Liston wasn't used to people not being intimidated by him.

He later admitted he was afraid of Liston, but he did in great job in hiding it.
          ALi also was afraid of foreman to some extent as well be refuses to let that fear get to him during the fight. He would intentionally avoid watching foreman hitting the heavey bag because that is said to be an incredible feat(the bag has a dent after a few hard blows) Ali walked out to foreman and then hit with a right hand just to prove to george he meant business.

Comment

Not a psych job, but something I always found interesting was Montell Griffin talking about how he felt he had an advantage against James Toney because Toney was used to intimidating a lot of his opponents, but that didn't work on him because they had trained at the same gym years before and even stayed under the same roof, and during that time he knew Toney pretty well and knew he was a nice guy.

A lot of people disagreed with the scoring in their fights but I still found it interesting to read about.

Comment

During Tyson's reign of terror (before his first defeat), I think most opponents were defeated before the bell rang for the first round. They reminded me of riders on a mechanical bull, they new they would fall, but hung on for as long as they could. Few went past five...
              Last edited by Panamaniac; 12-08-2012, 01:22 PM. Reason: typos and word omissions

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                Not that I'm aware of. I gather that Liston shot himself with a blank to reassure onlookers that it was all in good humour. The dramatisation may well be on You Tube. The film is called 'The Greatest'.
                Ive seen that video before somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                  During Tyson's reign of terror (before his first defeat), I think most opponents were defeated before the bell rang for the first round. They reminded me riders on a mechanical bull, they new the would fall, but hung on for as long as they could. Few went past five...
                  No ... Tyson was still extremely feared even after he was released from prison ... Bruce Seldon was a champion and he was scared into taking a dive against Tyson.

Tyson in the late 90s may have been even more fearsome than before; his persona became even more intimidating ... he was heavier, appeared to be stronger and more cut ... and claimed that his punching power had actually increased since his reign of terror in the 80s. And he genuinely seemed to be more of an angry, cold blooded person.

this was the Tyson of the 80s

This was Mike Tyson of the 90s

Comment

Working...
                  X