Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Richard Abril: Almost Perfect, But Does He Have a Chance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Richard Abril: Almost Perfect, But Does He Have a Chance?

By Cliff Rold - It was supposed to be Brandon Rios (29-0-1, 22 KO). It was not supposed to be Richard Abril (17-2-1, 8 KO).

On the pay-per-view undercard of Juan Manuel Marquez-Sergiy Fenchenko this Saturday, what was supposed becomes what is. We have Rios-Abril at Lightweight. Can Abril make it matter?

It has to be assumed, on some level, that the suits at HBO didn’t think so. When the much anticipated Rios-Yuriorkis Gamboa fight imploded, so too did Rios’s April HBO appearance. With limited funds available to the premium cable networks, Rios-Abril didn’t get the nod.

Despite the demotion to a television venue guaranteed to carry fewer eyes, Rios and Abril deserve credit for generating what interest there is in the card this weekend. Expletives, ethnic one-upping, and just plain old good fighting trash talk have marked promotional events. Rios, easily one of boxing brightest young U.S. stars, may not have the star maker foe he hoped for, but he’s not resting on laurels either. [Click Here To Read More]

Of course Abrils got a chance, hes one mean dude but Rios better take his head off.

Comment

If Abril lost to Prescott in 2008, then that version of Prescott wasnt as good a boxer, infact he would probably have just been loading up with power shots yet Abril couldnt outbox him. I feel Rios has much better technique than an old version of Prescott.

Comment

Abril won that fight but he was not the home fighter, think Molina vs. Chavez, and he won over Lundy too...

Comment

I always say everybody has a chance, but Abril might as well stick a broomstick up his butt because Rios is going to mop the floor with him.

Comment

Originally posted by knockoutkid View Post
            If Abril lost to Prescott in 2008, then that version of Prescott wasnt as good a boxer, infact he would probably have just been loading up with power shots yet Abril couldnt outbox him. I feel Rios has much better technique than an old version of Prescott.
            If you're theory is right about Prescott just loading up on punches then we can say Abril can take a punch? I think it was New England who mentioned he could take a punch.

Now the way I'm looking at this is, Abril beat Acosta who Rios struggled with early on during their fight. So now Rios is facing a pretty big boxer in Abril. By big I mean big in size, so how will Rios do? The formula to beat him is there, Acosta exposed it. Also, given Rios' weight issues if Abril stays on the move for all 12 and clinches if caught on the inside like Alexander did with Maidan or how Molina did without overdoing it his chances are pretty high.

Comment

Abril has one of those faces that you just want to punch

Comment

rios will probably win, but i dont think anyone would be shocked if abril pulled the upset, and i hope he does, cause rios needs to be brought down a notch or two. he isnt as special as he thinks he is

Comment

I'm telling you, this is the year of shockers and upsets. Don't be surprised if Rios, Mayweather and Pacquiao lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
                    Abril has one of those faces that you just want to punch
                    why, because he is a good kid?

Comment

Working...
                    X