No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Omar Narvaez: Going for a Little Piece of History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Omar Narvaez: Going for a Little Piece of History

by Cliff Rold - He doesn’t even have to win.

This weekend, all WBO 115 lb. titlist Omar Narvaez (41-1-2, 22 KO) has to do is not lose and he’ll have made his tenth consecutive defense of the belt he won in 2010 after a lengthy WBO reign at 112.

How lengthy?

Long enough to post sixteen defenses from 2002-09 before he moved up in weight.

Why do those two numbers matter? What is the significance of 16 and 10?

If Narvaez successfully defends this weekend against the relatively inexperienced Antonio Garcia (13-1, 6 KO), he will become the first fighter in boxing history to score double-digit consecutive title defenses in two weight classes. Scouring the records, there were others who came close but no one else who actually crossed the threshold in two classes.

Omar Narvaez will, for most American fans, always be remembered as the guy who stunk it out challenging Nonito Donaire for a Bantamweight title. His career has been more that that. This numerical achievement will be a healthy place to hang his hat.

How much meaning can be drawn from it?

It’s a mixed bag. Surely there are others that could have done this. In the days of men like Mickey Walker, the volume of fights contested could have lent itself to some wild defense numbers. The titles just weren’t defended as frequently in many classes. Julio Cesar Chavez made nine defenses of his 130 lb. title and a dozen consecutive defenses in his first reign at 140. That’s one short. An extra payday in Mexico City in the first class could have given him history. [Click Here To Read More]

The Orucuta fight was closer to a shutout for Narvaez than it was a robbery. I just assumed the robbery talk was Nacho being butt hurt as always. What I remember seeing was a masterful show of defense from Narvaez while consistently being the only fighter landing clean shots. Orucuta had volume, but didn't land much of anything. I just rewatched three random rounds of the fight to see if I misremembered it, and I couldn't find a single clean shot that Orucuta landed.

The WBO rankings have at least been enough to keep him honest against decent inexperienced up and and coming prospects every once in a while, but I really wish to see him fight against a fellow top fighter in his division some day. As laughable as it sounds, I think he has the goods to be one of the best fighters in the world. It's just hard to tell with his competition.
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 05-15-2014, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Nothing about this guy is historic. He deserves credit for consistency and longevity and a good number of decent (but nowhere near great) wins. But he didn't do anything special, and gave a non-effort when it mattered most.

Comment

Problem with these divisions is that too many titlists refusing to fight one another.

But no denying it, Narvaez is class, I remember the Donaire fight and everyone was expecting him to destroy this lil fella and I kept saying, Donaire would find it difficult to land clean shots and would be happy with a decision. People tend to underestimate how good Narvaez is defensively, people complained about Donaire losing his killer instinct but Narvez just never allowed him to settle.

He didnt do enough to even come close to winning but he did enough to make donaire look bad. In an odd sort of way, it reminds me of Whitaker/DLH.

Comment

Respect for the accomplishment.

But I'm glad the writer put it into context by mentioning how the multiple champions and being stuck in a regional loop water things down a bit.

It's ridiculous that Wonjongkam was making 17 title defenses in a row while Narvaez was making 16 title defenses in a row.....in the same weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Respect for the accomplishment.

But I'm glad the writer put it into context by mentioning how the multiple champions and being stuck in a regional loop water things down a bit.

It's ridiculous that Wonjongkam was making 17 title defenses in a row while Narvaez was making 16 title defenses in a row.....in the same weight class.
            Sure was. Wong beat better over career but second reign had a lot to so with it.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              Problem with these divisions is that too many titlists refusing to fight one another.

But no denying it, Narvaez is class, I remember the Donaire fight and everyone was expecting him to destroy this lil fella and I kept saying, Donaire would find it difficult to land clean shots and would be happy with a decision. People tend to underestimate how good Narvaez is defensively, people complained about Donaire losing his killer instinct but Narvez just never allowed him to settle.

He didnt do enough to even come close to winning but he did enough to make donaire look bad. In an odd sort of way, it reminds me of Whitaker/DLH.
              It's not that hard to make someone look bad if you fight to survive. And a defense that comes at the expense of offense can't be good.

Donaire is the only elite talent he faced in his long career, and he came up well short in that fight. That's what matters, not how he made Donaire look.

Oh, and he is a jealous, hypcritical a-hole.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sergio-ma...brewing--65469

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

I don't know that the fighters refuse. It's more there is little economy for it. Why would a manager take Narvaez or Wong on the road? The earnings ceiling is limited at these classes. As long as there are this many belts, the lower classes will have more inconsistent clash than bigger ones (which often struggle as well). Flyweight has had one unification in 40+ years.

Comment

Omar Andres Narvaez is a boxer than in 14 years of career and 44 pro fights and many years as a champion has only faced one elite fighter and lost against him (Nonito Donaire). Practically all of his fights (and title defenses) have occurred having the advantage of being the local fighter while it has been almost impossible to find judges who were not affected by the over reacting audiences in favor of the home fighter (and that is not even considering the possibility of having inept of corrupt judges). While defending his titles, Narvaez has escaped with few controversial decisions including Andrea Sarritzu (Draw and SD) and Felipe Orucuta (SD). Even his victory vs. Lazarte by DQ is questionable. Although it is true that Omar has made a big number of defenses, the quality of opposition has included many B or C challengers that only the WBO could justify as legitimate contenders to a title. That poor quality of opposition is why Narvaez, despite many title defenses, would never appear on a top list of P4P where it is possible to find other Argentinian boxers such as Sergio Martinez, Marcos Maidana and to certain extent Lucas Mathysse. Narvaez has been so far a sort of unclear champion so the number of defenses does not reflect the whole truth.

Comment

He defended his flyweight belt six times in Europe, fighting in his opponents' backyard, during the 2000s, which is more than guys like Ward or Sturm can say. Have seen well over half his title defenses and the truth is only the Seda fight was really close, other than his ill-fated decision to fight a much bigger Donaire. Orucuta threw a million punches but couldn't hit Narvaez when he was standing in front if him. Pity we are in the era of four or five or six champions per division so guys like Narvaez and Pong and Vic D and Parra and a host of other excellent flyweights during the 2000s never met

Comment

Working...
                    X