Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is my left hook so bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah but your weight has to go to the back foot with the hook. if your weight is already there then your throwing an arm punch.

Trinidad kept all his weight on his front foot so his balance sucked (as evidenced by all the flash knockdowns he had in his career) but when he hooked all his weight went with it. (which is why most of the guys who knocked him down got knocked out a round later.)

Comment

Originally posted by mr.thraz View Post
      yeah but your weight has to go to the back foot with the hook. if your weight is already there then your throwing an arm punch.

Trinidad kept all his weight on his front foot so his balance sucked (as evidenced by all the flash knockdowns he had in his career) but when he hooked all his weight went with it. (which is why most of the guys who knocked him down got knocked out a round later.)
      This^^

That's why a left hook is typically thrown after the straight right, where your weight should be primarily in your front foot, then you shift the weight to the back foot to throw the "3"..left hook

Comment

yes sir!

the right and left-hook work well together (like pb&j) for this reason.

the right unbalances you to your left, lending power to your hook.

the left-hook unbalances you to your right, lending power to your right hand.

its a good rule to follow and is the place to start when your experimenting with ghost notes and feint.
        Last edited by mr.thraz; 08-28-2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Ey Akhi! I used to have the same problem but I drilled the **** out of it and now its my favorite punch. For a while my ajb got really bad from all the left hooks I was throwing. Remember relax and do it slow until you get it. repetition is the key. Many people give up on the punch cuz it feels awkward but in a couple of /a month(for me cuz I'm a ****ing genius ^^) and your left hook will be the ****. Train the palm down left hook and pivot with your left foot when you throw it. Palm down is the best way to develop the torque in your hook. Also the best way to include a left hook in a combo is a straight right hand. So train the 2-3 combo a lot when you shadow box. Look up videos on youtube. Relax your shoulders when you throw it . If you are stiff you throw funny looking lefthooks. Look at joe fraizer how relaxed he was in his shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by ChowAce View Post
            You said it yourself, your stance is really back foot heavy. You have to shift your weight to the front foot more when you throw your left hooks. The left hook is also the most unnatural punch to throw, could be another reason why you feel like your left hook is bad.
            How is the most unnatural punch to throw ? it should come fluidly if your practising your combos, for example: throwing a 1 - 2 followed by a left hook then a right upercut or what ever.. it depends also if your trainer is making you throw a lot of left hooks when your doing pads, just practise alot on shadow boxing and just make sure your imaganing that your hitting someone with that left while shadow boxing and after time it will come naturally as they come.. like me my trainer never tought me to throw a right hook properly so when i get in their with another trainer asking me to throw a right hook it feels so weird even though its my strongest hand but i guess thats where the practising comes into play

Comment

Originally posted by setza View Post
              How is the most unnatural punch to throw ? it should come fluidly if your practising your combos, for example: throwing a 1 - 2 followed by a left hook then a right upercut or what ever.. it depends also if your trainer is making you throw a lot of left hooks when your doing pads, just practise alot on shadow boxing and just make sure your imaganing that your hitting someone with that left while shadow boxing and after time it will come naturally as they come.. like me my trainer never tought me to throw a right hook properly so when i get in their with another trainer asking me to throw a right hook it feels so weird even though its my strongest hand but i guess thats where the practising comes into play
              Never end a combination with a uppercut.
              That is how Thomas Hearns lost the first fight with SRL

Comment

Originally posted by ChowAce View Post
                You have to shift your weight to the front foot more when you throw your left hooks.
                not completely true.

When I would roll in with the 1-2-hook my weight would come forward on the right hand and then I'd shift my weight to the back foot while pulling a hook. It generates some great power..........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Mohammedini View Post
                  Never end a combination with a uppercut.
                  That is how Thomas Hearns lost the first fight with SRL
                  it depends on the persons ability and distance really, plus I was just giving him examples of combos to fluidly practice on the left hook just giving him extra ideas on how to go on from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    not completely true.

When I would roll in with the 1-2-hook my weight would come forward on the right hand and then I'd shift my weight to the back foot while pulling a hook. It generates some great power..........Rockin'

would you show some video?

Comment

This is my main issue too, from the southpaw stance I can throw a quick lead right hand, but I'm actually a conventional fighter, I'm right handed, and no matter how many times I practice, I can't throw a lead left hook. That's why I sometimes go southpaw, to try to replicate what I'm doing in that stance that I'm not orthodox. I can double up on my left hook if my opponent stands still for me, or if I have him cornered but as soon as he decides to move, my arsenal of punches shortens....

Comment

Working...
                      X