Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Band Off" - Nirvana vs Radiohead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are comparing apples and oranges here.

Nirvana was the start of a movement. They were among a number of bands who brought rock out of the dark ages of hair metal. They were good musicians but its the aura of the band that gets praised on top of kurts tragic death. But to be honest out of the grunge movement they werent even the best band. I believe alice in chains and soundgarden are better overall bands.

Radiohead are undoubtably more complex and more skilled on the instruments(except for the drumming but even then its close). Radiohead through the years have changed their style numerous times and still turn out great music be it rock or electronic.

To put into perspective if kurt would of never died nirvana would not of been great forever. They were one dimensional and would of died out like the other grunge bands.

So on a pure musicianship i vote radiohead

Comment

nirvana led a whole new genre/generation of musiciaions.

there more infleuential, more succsessful, better songs, better legacy = better band

nirvana

Comment

Gotta disagree with Midnight on Nirvana. If Kurt had comed out of depression and straightened up it would have been through listening to his buddies in the band and not the fan-boys like you or I.

That means Dave Grohl would have had input too and he is cracking out some mean tunes to this day.

Radiohead did concept albums and stadium rock and their stadium rock was depressing.

If I had a golden ticket to both these bands.
        Same time.
        One night only.

I'd pick Nirvana.

Comment

This is no contest!

Nirvana indeed flagshipped grunge, but if grunge was that big and resilient, then it could've been alive still, but it's just nothing but a passing fad. Props to Kurt, Christ and Dave, but think about it, even Dave Grohl got it going post Nirvana but using a different formula. All grunge did was sprung pseudo bands ridiculously jumping onto the wagon (ie; Screaming Trees, Candlebox, Blind Melon, etc.)

But still mad props for Kurt Cobain, not many guys like his persona comes along.

Radiohead on the other hand has created and is still creating music that grows in listeners. Not like the current thing of a generation but music that'll really stay in a dynamic sense for a long time. Their musical brilliance and diversified but tightly collaborated peices made them what they are.

No wonder Coldplay is using the same formula that Radiohead's been successful at.

Radiohead all the way!
          Last edited by Tamis!; 06-17-2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

oh god not coldplay..pissy pant bedwetterf music

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
              We are comparing apples and oranges here.

Nirvana was the start of a movement. They were among a number of bands who brought rock out of the dark ages of hair metal. They were good musicians but its the aura of the band that gets praised on top of kurts tragic death. But to be honest out of the grunge movement they werent even the best band. I believe alice in chains and soundgarden are better overall bands.
              Radiohead are undoubtably more complex and more skilled on the instruments(except for the drumming but even then its close). Radiohead through the years have changed their style numerous times and still turn out great music be it rock or electronic.

To put into perspective if kurt would of never died nirvana would not of been great forever. They were one dimensional and would of died out like the other grunge bands.

So on a pure musicianship i vote radiohead

Co-sign much much!

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden well above Nirvana musicality wise.

But to slightly correct history, it was the Band "Mother Love Bone" who is the first advocator of Grunge (RIP Andy Wood) then after he died, the remaining members split, the others forming MUDHONEY, while the other splint composed of Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard went ahead and formed PEARL JAM.

It was Nirvana, formerly a punk band in reality, who revolutionized and placed grunge in the map!

Comment

Originally posted by omarinbox View Post
                Gotta disagree with Midnight on Nirvana. If Kurt had comed out of depression and straightened up it would have been through listening to his buddies in the band and not the fan-boys like you or I.

That means Dave Grohl would have had input too and he is cracking out some mean tunes to this day.

Radiohead did concept albums and stadium rock and their stadium rock was depressing.

If I had a golden ticket to both these bands.
                Same time.
                One night only.

I'd pick Nirvana.
                well any musician can tell you that the best music is made with emotion

Kurts depression was the inspiration for his music. Without it he would of just been another old washed up former Nirvana member

the band would of split up anyways and Kurt would of went on to lead numerous bands that would have one hit wonders here and there....much like Chris Cornell

Chris Cornell was a better singer and had better lyrics and they were in the same era!

Kurts death made Nirvana's legacy. No one wants to speak ill of the dead so everyone puts them on the rock god pedistal.

I remember when Nirvana was big and there was ZERO talk about them being one of the greatest bands ever.

as soon as Kurt died they were automatically rock gods.

i call bull****.

Radioheads music may not suit everyones tastes but being a musician myself i respect the musicianship of Radiohead far beyond Nirvana's.

Good musicians are able to change and flow with the times and always evolve as musicians

Nirvana was a one trick pony.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamis_Siensya View Post

Co-sign much much!

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden well above Nirvana musicality wise.

But to slightly correct history, it was the Band "Mother Love Bone" who is the first advocator of Grunge (RIP Andy Wood) then after he died, the remaining members split, the others forming MUDHONEY, while the other splint composed of Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard went ahead and formed PEARL JAM.
                  you also cant forget the 80's bands who influenced it.

such as Sonic Youth who was playing angst fueled rock in the mid 80's

Comment

Originally posted by omarinbox View Post
                    oh god not coldplay..pissy pant bedwetterf music
                    OK lol!

I'm just sayin' they appear to thread that road where Thom Yorke envisioned Radiohead, but they are nowhere near close.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
                      you also cant forget the 80's bands who influenced it.

such as Sonic Youth who was playing angst fueled rock in the mid 80's
                      Of course who could forget Kim Gordon's movement.

Good stuff mate!

Comment

Working...
                      X