Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is switching hands effective? Floyd rarely does it. Who's the best at it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is switching hands effective? Floyd rarely does it. Who's the best at it?

Many talented fighters are able to fight both orthodox and unorthodox but many of them when doing so aren't as effective as they would like to think they can be so they switch back to their conventional hand.

How much value do you put on being able to fight either way?

I know Floyd can do it but rarely does.

Who today would you say is the best at being effective switching hands?

Well if you are good at a particular style, stick with it since it is your best weapon. But if you have the talent to switch I think it's a big advantage to confuse your opponent and screw their plans up.

Comment

Donaire and Cotto does it

James Degale switches every few seconds

Comment

Marvin Hagler was the master of switching hands during fights. He could beat you either way and used it as a tactic to keep the opponent off balance.

Most modern fighters don't seem to use it as much since they stick to more well defined styles. Marvin Hagler's style was Marvin Hagler and that was certainly a plus when it comes to mixing it up.

Comment

when floyd goes southpaw he gets even more defensive. he's not looking to ko you from the southpaw stance. he is ****ing with your timing/rythym and what you think he is gonna do. he will switch back to ortho and land bombs. marvin hagler fought orthodox vs srl for part of the fight idk how long he did it for or why. he should have stayed southpaw and tried to box instead of brawl. point is you shouldnt do it a whole lot but it can be useful to play mind games.

Comment

Interesting, I knew Donaire did it occasionally, but I had no idea Cotto did it. Never heard of that James Degale chap.

Comment

Cotto does, Martinez does, DeGale, etc

Kell Brook is superb at switch-hitting as are a lot of Ingle fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsatan View Post
                Interesting, I knew Donaire did it occasionally, but I had no idea Cotto did it. Never heard of that James Degale chap.
                Donaire always did it before Montiel. I think it was mostly practice

Cotto did it all the time actually

Comment

Cotto was very effective against Quintana from the southpaw stance, after that I wouldn't say he fought out of it, he'd switch once simply to land a straight/ overhand left which was very effective against Margarito, Mosley and if I remember correctly, think he momentarily stunned Pacquiao with it. Though, Cotto would quickly switch back after landing it.

Andre Ward, to me, is clearly the best switch hitter right now, he was very effective against Miranda, Kessler, he can actually fight out of the southpaw stance. Dirrell is 2nd, another good switch hitter.

All time, from what I've seen (Which probably isn't much) Marvin Hagler.

Comment

Giovani Segura is the best at it today

Comment

Working...
                    X