Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Standards Reguarding The Destruction Of GERALD McCLELLAN?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HandSpeed303 View Post
    Me too. This is boxing though, every fight knows the risk involved. Word has it that his brain injury was noticed before the Benn fight.

Action should have been taken.
    Muhammad Ali is extremly lucky. He still has that chrasima and funny sense of humour and is mentally sharper than ever before. If you ask him about any of his fights he will remember straight away and respond. This would be around 2000/2001.

Now however he has more trouble speaking than ever before, but has not been mentally affected in any way, just like in 2000/2001.

Anyway lets get back to the topic at hand.

Comment

Me too. This is boxing though, every fight knows the risk involved. Word has it that his brain injury was noticed before the Benn fight.

Action should have been taken.
      I've heard that as well. With modern testing he would never have been allowed in the ring with Benn.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        I've heard that as well. With modern testing he would never have been allowed in the ring with Benn.

Poet
        What are the procedures modern testing?

Comment

Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
          Muhammad Ali is extremly lucky. He still has that chrasima and funny sense of humour and is mentally sharper than ever before. If you ask him about any of his fights he will remember straight away and respond. This would be around 2000/2001.

Now however he has more trouble speaking than ever before, but has not been mentally affected in any way, just like in 2000/2001.

Anyway lets get back to the topic at hand.
          You know what, I wrote in a topic before about wacthing the G-Man/Benn fight with my pops, and his reaction to the fight.

When Gerald took that knee, I remember my dad saying, "this dude is about to quit"...Then the fight was over. I said to my dad, "that didn't look right"...My pops then said, "didn't need to look right, this clown just gave up...Chump ****"...

My dad felt like crap when Gerald slumpped in the corner. One thing that will always be a constant...Only you know how much you can take. Period. Gerald knew something was wrong.

Very sad night for me...I will never forget it.

On A Side Note: The internet was not the monster back then, that it is now. The very next morning they had a section on the fight in the paper. I followed all of the updates in the local paper for about 4 months (sometimes there was nothing)...Then the reports stopped. The last report I read said he wasn't doing well. I thought the G-man died. Real talk.

Comment

Gerald could of been one of the greats ....i hate it when people take from hi or Benn for that matter with such BS !

Comment

What are the procedures modern testing?
              I'm not a doctor so I don't know. From everything I've read though, the screening today is a lot more thorough and the standards a lot stricter than just a few years ago.

Poet

Comment

You know what, I wrote in a topic before about wacthing the G-Man/Benn fight with my pops, and his reaction to the fight.

When Gerald took that knee, I remember my dad saying, "this dude is about to quit"...Then the fight was over. I said to my dad, "that didn't look right"...My pops then said, "didn't need to look right, this clown just gave up...Chump ****"...

My dad felt like crap when Gerald slumpped in the corner. One thing that will always be a constant...Only you know how much you can take. Period. Gerald knew something was wrong.

On A Side Note: The internet was not the monster back then, that it is now. The very next morning they had a section on the fight in the paper. I followed all of the updates in the local paper for about 4 months (sometimes there was nothing)...Then the reports stopped. The last report I read said he wasn't doing well. I thought the G-man died. Real talk.
                so we are not going to blame victor ortiz for quitting then?

who knows what maidana would have done to his brain in the sixth round..................

Comment

I was ring side and watched that fight with my father ...and i thought the same.....he took alot of huge punches that night as did Benn ...
                  I still say its the most savage fight i have ever seen !

Comment

so we are not going to blame victor ortiz for quitting then?

who knows what maidana would have done to his brain in the sixth round..................
                    One thing you will find about me (I don't speak for anyone but myself), I don't call fighters cowards, and the word quitter very rarly comes out of my mouth.

I don't know what to say about Victor...Maybe that he was in tuffer than he expected, and cashed it in...I guess.

I guess as boxing fans, we want to see fighters give it their all, and leave it in the ring. Of course you don't ever want to see a fighter get hurt (except for Check as I learned today), but you don't expect them to fold the minute the other fighter is not there to lose...I guess that is how I feel about Ortiz.

Comment

One thing you will find about me (I don't speak for anyone but myself), I don't call fighters cowards, and the word quitter very rarly comes out of my mouth.

I don't know what to say about Victor...Maybe that he was in tuffer than he expected, and cashed it in...I guess.

I guess as boxing fans, we want to see fighters give it their all, and leave it in the ring. Of course you don't ever want to see a fighter get hurt (except for Check as I learned today), but you don't expect them to fold the minute the other fighter is not there to lose...I guess that is how I feel about Ortiz.
                      No one on plannet earth knows what would have happened in the next ten seconds, had victor ortiz continued. It sends chills down my spine even thinking about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X