Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Continues To Enjoy Royal Treatment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Continues To Enjoy Royal Treatment

By Jake Donovan - The May 5 collision between 154 lb. titlist Miguel Cotto and unbeaten pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather. Jr. has been aptly titled “Ring Kings.” Playing to the show’s theme, the press tour has featured the royal welcome for both combatants, as each man their place on a king’s throne on stage during the tour’s press conference.

Such accommodations are hardly unique for Mayweather Jr., who has for years served as among boxing’s royalty.

It was his superstar status that allowed for the fight to happen in the first place. Faced with the dilemma of serving a 90-day sentence at the start of the year, the seven-time titlist in five separate weight classes) managed to get a Clark County judge to delay the sentence in order to honor a previous agreement with the MGM Grand to fight on May 5.

The ruling in what was supposed to serve as sentencing day in early January was reminiscent of a passage from old school rapper Kool G. Rap’s “Road To The Riches” hip hop anthem:

Some young male put in jail
    His lawyer’s so good, his bail was on sale

Everything about the verdict was unprecedented, but no doubt largely due to the status held by Mayweather Jr. as a huge money maker for the economically devastated Las Vegas region. The fighter himself was playing a game of Russian Roulette, as he was still in the process of securing an opponent for a boxing weekend that he has shared in past years with pound-for-pound rival Manny Pacquiao.

The speculation was that this time around would finally mark as good news for one and all, that both fighters would put their egos in check and - after more than two years of exhausting nearly every possible storyline - find a way to make the most lucrative fight in boxing history.

When that didn’t happen, Mayweather Jr. found a way to keep momentum in his favor. At a February 1 hearing in Las Vegas, the unbeaten star was forced to explain to a Nevada State Athletic Commission panel why he was deserving of his boxing license being renewed. His past – in particular, his out-of-ring actions – was called into question but his responses were taken into consideration. [Click Here To Read More]

According to Mayweather's logic, Cotto will still be undefeated after he beats him because Cotto is no longer in his prime.

Comment

I'm beyond disappointed that "The Great Jake" has become such a common Mayweather backside-licker-a vulgar term I rarely if ever use. This article is only to laud the egotistical lunatic.

Highlighting Donovan's subservience, I ask "how does getting a poor stylistic matchup opponent (Cotto) translate into a gain over Pacquiao's fight with Bradley which he is implying is a good stylistic matchup" ?

Donovan's no fool, so there has to be some-likely tortuous-explanation for this.

Comment

I'm beyond disappointed that "edgarg" continues to be the biggest Bob Arum dick licker (a term I rarely if ever use) and apologist on this forum.

Comment

the most ignorant comment "when Pacquiao forced de La hoya to come down to 147". Yeah well he conveniently forgets Pacquiao was coming up from LIGHTWEIGHT, a weight class he had only one fight in.

Comment

Forget Bob,manny,roach,may sr,roger and all others involved, Floyd is a deluded arrogant unmoral greedy powertripping gutless sorry excuse for a boxer and will be remembered for it.

Its not about have good he is its about have he act
            Last edited by 110110110; 02-29-2012, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
              I'm beyond disappointed that "The Great Jake" has become such a common Mayweather backside-licker-a vulgar term I rarely if ever use. This article is only to laud the egotistical lunatic.
              You stuck-up prat..... instead of proving your ignorance, point out something that you disagree with.

Highlighting Donovan's subservience, I ask "how does getting a poor stylistic matchup opponent (Cotto) translate into a gain over Pacquiao's fight with Bradley which he is implying is a good stylistic matchup" ?.
              Because, Mayweather is fighting Cotto, one of the biggest names, and biggest draws, in the sport..... whereas Punkiao is fighting a guy that most casual fans have never even heard of, smarten up.

Donovan's no fool, so there has to be some-likely tortuous-explanation for this.
              Correct, you are.

Comment

Highlighting Donovan's subservience, I ask "how does getting a poor stylistic matchup opponent (Cotto) translate into a gain over Pacquiao's fight with Bradley which he is implying is a good stylistic matchup" ?

Let me help you out.

The negative = Mayweather is fighting Cotto. (Cotto, who was Pacquiao's first choice opponent if he was willing to drain down, AGAIN) A bad stylistic match up for Cotto.

"this time in a fight that from a styles perspective figures to be less competitive than Pacquiao’s June 9 showdown with Tim Bradley Jr."

Turning the negative into the positive = "The chief selling point in getting Cotto to agree to terms was in making the opportunity as attractive as possible. This was lost on Pacquiao, who sought a rematch but only if it took place below 150 lb., far below where Cotto has campaigned for his past three fights in growing quite accustomed to the 154 lb. limit." The writer was being generous here because Pac said he wouldn't fight Cotto above 147, well below 150

Turning a negative into a positive = That's how it translates into a gain
                Last edited by Rapid Counter; 02-29-2012, 04:18 AM.

Comment

By Mayweather's logic he must not have been Marquez. He cheated by coming in well over the limit, against a fighter that was coming up in weight.

It's a ridiculous statement to make, but all Mayweather does is run his mouth, he might be a ridiculously intelligent boxer, but everytime he opens his mouth idiocy creeps out.

Comment

last post doesn't even have meaning but FM will behind closed doors soon doing what needs to b done to ensure a complete/dominant victory...you're fooling yourself , Cotto 2, if you think otherwise...

Comment

Working...
                    X