No announcement yet.

I'm not too excited about the next generation of boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
    I agree somewhat... I think the 90's - early 2000's is slightly underpraised as a great boxing era though

the likes of Linares, Ortiz, Juanma Lopez, Jacobs, even Haye/Povetkin/Dimitrenko all have potential to be good champions however

and new prospects/stars are always appearing
    Yeah, I recently started thinking back at all the talent we had in the 90's- 2000 era, it was insane.

I'm no critic on boxing eras, I'm only 23 years old. But I honestly feel that I was lucky to have gotten to see some of the fights I saw from '95-'00.

It's very underrated as an era.

Comment

i think in time new greats will emerge, its just going to take patience...

Comment

Give the new crop of ring warriors time...its easy to dismiss what they bring now because half of them haven’t even been tested…I’ve been watching the sport for about 20 years and it’s like a cycle…someone will pop up that will capture your interest…for me, it went from Marvin to Tyson to Pernell & Roy to Manny and a few more that popped up in between…the boxing addiction will feed itself…just give it time

Comment

Me neither, but I think it has more to do with no real personalities / storylines or rivalries have developped yet. The next generation is still in the shadow of the current generation, if that makes sense. Their time will come.

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post
            Ya, but Gamboa only has what? 14 fights under his belt? Give him time. He can go on to be great, as long as he maintains the hunger and need to fight the best, well after he's had a great paycheck and possibly tastes defeat for the first time. A guy I can see jumping out of the sport as soon as he hits a nice check, is someone like BJ Flores for example. I see him on ESPN talking his bs, and I see a guy who what? Was trying to be a pro football player that switched to boxing? Possibly he wasn't good enough for football, so he switches to boxing just for a nice paycheck, then he's gonna leave, just watch. So many are like that now. The youngins I believe will stick it out, are the upcoming Mexican fighters. Mexicans don't take a paycheck and quit. They just don't.
            That's very, very true. Mexicans and Puerto Ricans both. I know they have that "rivalry", but honestly, those guys always produce some amazing fighters.

Hopefully Mexico will produce another fighter who clicks with me like Barrera did so well during the 90's. I felt Barrera's wins and losses, he meant that much to me.

As long as we still have Mexico and Puerto Rico, I should have somebody to cheer for.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
              i think in time new greats will emerge, its just going to take patience...
              Do you think you'll ever feel for another fighter what you feel for Roy?

Comment

We still haven't gotten through the process of filtering out the dirt to find the gold with this new era I think

Comment

I know what really gets me not excited about boxing is the way fighters fight now a days.....

It sure ain't like it used to be, Fighters used to fight for pride and glory, to be known as the best in the division......

Now.... if it don't make dollars it don't make sense, and unfortunatly the promoters have a lot to do with that and I don't see things changing until after Arum dies.

I think that the promoters have to start seeing they HAVE TO TELEVISE MOST fights, so that there is more interest in the sport. Honestly a lot of young kids watch this MMA crap and have more interest in that because there are a ton of fights all the time (because of less weight divisions), and they are mostly FREE!!!!

About new/young talent, I think that every once in a while you get some dry spells in certain weight divisions.... ....or it could be that we in fact grew up watching some of the best fighters in history, and hold fighters to that level of expectation. I mean just the fact that growing up I saw fighters with TECHNIQUE so elegant and precise that it makes a lot of fighters now look ametuerish, makes me kinda hesitant about where the sport is going, and the fighters we like..... It's kinda like you said, watching JCC, EM, MAB,
                  RJJ, sweetpea, Trinidad, DLH, Holyfield, even Tyson to an extent, has made me doubt a lot of fighters potential, because I compare them to the best. I'll say that I didn't think Pac's one punch style would last, and the fact that he has become a great overall fighter in these few years makes me really think about how quick we judge fighters potential.
                  I think there is a lot of talent, but unfortunatly talent doesn't always sell . And then you are back in the mix with the promoters...... But right now, I like V. Ortiz , I think the kid has really good potential, and I hope they don't do to him what they did to Vargas, and Bojado. That is let their heads get big and make these guys think they can let their guard down because they are some sort of superstar that has made it ..... The road has barely started and there is a ton of work to do before you can kick back and become a comentator like Lenox.
                  I was also following Abner Mares, Nacho's pupil, he has tons of potential, but now with his eye messed up has put a ? mark on him for me.
                  I don't think much of JM LOPEZ, ANGULO, DAWSON, BERTO, DONAIRE, etc....
                  All have had some decent wins but ....... IDK, it's kinda like they are generic fighters to me.....??????????

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
                    Give the new crop of ring warriors time...its easy to dismiss what they bring now because half of them haven’t even been tested…I’ve been watching the sport for about 20 years and it’s like a cycle…someone will pop up that will capture your interest…for me, it went from Marvin to Tyson to Pernell & Roy to Manny and a few more that popped up in between…the boxing addiction will feed itself…just give it time
                    I hope you're right.

I can't wait to find the next guy I'll connect with. The way I connected with Hopkins, Jones, Barrera, Whitaker, Corrales, and Marquez.

Hopkins first though. Always.

Comment

I'm liking Danny Jacobs. Really hope he proves to be the real deal

Comment

Working...
                      X