No announcement yet.

Fighters surviving in other eras

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters surviving in other eras

I always assume that if tyson was put in dempseys era he wud wipe evr1 out and if louis was put in todays era he would be tiny but if they were actually born in that time, the diets, training, styles and consistency of fights would all be different. So tyson wouldnt have the peekaboo style and be more of a brawler, would be alot smaller and be fighting good opponents all the time. Louis would be alot bigger, much better defensivly and would have a much easier ride. So personally i think louis would be champion of this era and som1 like lennox lewis would have to be tougher, more of a fighter and probably wouldnt be able to survive the early 1900s, i rekon hed be skinny as hell.

Your premises are too flawed for me to respond to this question.

Boxing has not evolved. Not one bit. If anything, it has devolved. Heavyweights are bigger... and slower. Training methods are the same as they've always been. Fighters are gassed out now after 12 rounds; forget 15. Champions only fight twice a year, and nobody can stay at any given weight class for more than a few years.

Put Joe Louis at 200 pounds in the ring with the Klitschkos and he knocks them out on the same night.

Poet has a great article on the falsity of the "modern myth". You should give it a read.

Comment

It is basically impossible to compare eras because of the reasons you mentioned. There wouldn't be a Frazier without Dempsey and there wouldn't be a Tyson without Frazier and Dempsey. Every generation was built on the previous one and added skills/nutrition to the evolution of the sport.
      It is interesting that recently I read on an MMA forum that Royce Gracie is not an ATG and that he is basically a nobody. That is coming from people who don't know history. Gracie was the first guy to introduce BJJ into the UFC. Basically Royce BUILT the UFC in a bareknuckle era where there were (almost) no rules and he was fighting MUCH BIGGER guys.
      So some bum coming along 20 years later saying Royce is a joke is kinda.....funny.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post

Boxing has not evolved. Not one bit. If anything, it has devolved. Heavyweights are bigger... and slower. Training methods are the same as they've always been. Fighters are gassed out now after 12 rounds; forget 15. Champions only fight twice a year, and nobody can stay at any given weight class for more than a few years.

Put Joe Louis at 200 pounds in the ring with the Klitschkos and he knocks them out on the same night.

Poet has a great article on the falsity of the "modern myth". You should give it a read.
        of course boxing has evolved, its ppl like jack johnson, ali etc that inspired others to follow there styles. There was a time when boxers dint lean or dodge and were surprised when the first guy did. Training hasnt changed much but strength training and nutrition def have. yes guys are getting bigger and slower but they use weight and strength to there advantage, and a cruiserweight louis would be weaker. if boxing hasnt evolved are you telling me that mayweather jr would be as fancy if he was born in the 1900s? course not
        moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post

Boxing has definitely evolved as a whole. Heavyweight Boxing hasn't. It's crazy how one weightclass has had such a different evolution compared to the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
            Boxing has definitely evolved as a whole. Heavyweight Boxing hasn't. It's crazy how one weightclass has had such a different evolution compared to the rest.
            agreed HW boxing the least, but id still say the ppl like lennox and klitchko have benefited from a century of boxing. You dont see HWs there height n weight back then that could really take advantage of there size and reach
            moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

It needs to be said (again) that same day weigh ins would dramatically effect the placement of todays non heavyweight fighters in the past. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr sure as hell isn't fighting for any middleweight titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                It needs to be said (again) that same day weigh ins would dramatically effect the placement of todays non heavyweight fighters in the past. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr sure as hell isn't fighting for any middleweight titles.
                Agreed. Same day weigh ins were damaging for fighters like Jake Lamotta who would have been a super middleweight today. He didn't have the luxury that Chavez jr has.
                Last edited by joseph5620; 01-25-2013, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
                  I always assume that if tyson was put in dempseys era he wud wipe evr1 out and if louis was put in todays era he would be tiny but if they were actually born in that time, the diets, training, styles and consistency of fights would all be different. So tyson wouldnt have the peekaboo style and be more of a brawler, would be alot smaller and be fighting good opponents all the time. Louis would be alot bigger, much better defensivly and would have a much easier ride. So personally i think louis would be champion of this era and som1 like lennox lewis would have to be tougher, more of a fighter and probably wouldnt be able to survive the early 1900s, i rekon hed be skinny as hell.

I dont think Tyson would be that much smaller. I mean in his prime he was under 220, its not like he was huge. What exactly do you think Tyson was eating in the 80s that they didnt have in the 20's? Go look at the pictures of him when he was like 14 years old, he was a beast even then.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    He may have been a card-carrying bum of the month.

Only a sadist would watch Louis-Chavez. But judging from his last fight, he may well have been a heavyweight in Louis' era.

Comment

Working...
                    X