Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Antonio Tarver – Is The Magic Still There at 42?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Antonio Tarver – Is The Magic Still There at 42?

By Thomas Gerbasi - When you’re magic, how could you possibly disappear? That’s the question Antonio “Magic Man” Tarver is asking just before he steps into the ring with Danny Green in Sydney, Australia on July 20th.

Sure, he’s 42, but being over 40 hasn’t stopped Bernard Hopkins and Glen Johnson from maintaining their relevance in the fight game. And with just 34 fights over 14 years, just a couple wars, and no knockout defeats, you could probably scrape a few years off his clock, right?

“I’ve been trying to tell everybody that but they don’t want to hear me,” he laughs. It is true though, and while a sporadic fight schedule at his age probably isn’t preferable, the former light heavyweight champion isn’t looking at sticking around just to fight anybody. As always, he’s been smart about his career, so if it’s not a big fight, he’s really not interested.

And at least in Australia, the Green fight is a big one.

“I’m excited about the fight, I really am, and at age 42, I know I’m not gonna get these opportunities a lot going forward, and I’ve got to take advantage of this one as if this is my last and this is how we approach it,” said Tarver, who left for the land down under on July 6th to get acclimated and ready for his bout for the IBO cruiserweight title.

It’s his second straight bout above the 175 pound weight limit where he made his name, and while the first – a ten round decision win over Nagy Aguilera at heavyweight last October – didn’t set exactly set hearts racing, it did push him back into the win column after back-to-back losses to Chad Dawson and got the wheels turning again when it comes to the latest stage of his career.

“I think when I first made my debut at heavyweight, I kinda rushed it and I wasn’t in the best physical condition that I should have been in,” admits Tarver, who weighed in at 221 for the bout with the journeyman. “It was trial and error and the fight showed that. I got injured early and I had to fight through pain and everything, but overall I did what I went to do, which was win, against someone who I felt at the time was a credible guy. He had only been stopped by Samuel Peter, who is one of the most devastating punchers in that division, I hurt the guy, and I never thought in a million years that he would end up running in that fight, and that’s what happened. He started running and he really didn’t want to come at me, and that’s because he felt my power early. Who knows what would have happened if he would have stood still and fought. But I can’t question a guy when he’s getting hit – should he stay in there or should he get out of there. He felt my power and he was on his bicycle for the majority of the fight, which was surprising to me, but it just goes to show you, I can punch.”
    [Click Here To Read More]

Great interview with a legend!

Comment

Green wins on pts, and yes he can box Tarver from the outside and win.

Comment

The magic has been gone ever since he made Jones disappear in round 2 .

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
          By Thomas Gerbasi - When you’re magic, how could you possibly disappear? That’s the question Antonio “Magic Man” Tarver is asking just before he steps into the ring with Danny Green in Sydney, Australia on July 20th.....
          I'd love to see him turn back the clock.

Danny Green is the Manny Pacquiao of the cruiserweight division.

Comment

Green hits hard as ****, and has a solid chin, seems to be getting better with age... tarver's a legend regardless of what happens in this fight, but I fear it will end with a green stopage mid rounds. Leaduppercut please leave Manny out of Green-Tarver for ****s sake! Thanks.

Comment

Tarver is not a great fighter. He attentionally stayed in the amateurs for 10 extra years waiting for his peers to get out of their primes and emerge with a young professional career. It's easy to beat a fading Roy Jones who fought over 50 pro fights and Tarver only fought 25 to 30 and their the same age.

Comment

Bernard Hopkins analyzed the Roy Jones/Tarver fight and saw that when Roy pressured Tarver, very rarely, he balls up and is taken out of his game plan. Any fighter that's aggresive with Tarver and has decent boxing skills will easily win the fight. Greenn will win by decision or knock out being aggresive.

Comment

Tarver still has the name but can he still fight and win.

Comment

i agree danny green seems invincible just like manny pacquaio. high guard and good chins with Ko power. Tarver doesn't stand a chance, his workrate his *****ng terrible his hands are low and his slow and his power his **** too. tarvers body is very weak got no muscle and his fat. Green By TKO or KO for sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X