L shape stance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L shape stance

Why do some pros stand in L shape?

Front foot almost 0 degrees and back foot almost 90 degrees.

Just whatever feels most natural and has the most support to the individual. I sometimes find myself doing that accidently when I'm tired but, I personally find the most eefective is the 45,45.

Comment

Yea i agree some people just naturally have that stance its comfort to them

Comment

it usually means the guy has decided to hold his ground and not bounce or be on his toes.

people do it when they've decided to stiffen their jab in the middle of the ring.

Comment

So the disadvantage in L stance is that you are less mobile?

It's like almost L shape like these two have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDot0...eature=related

Comment

Being less mobile would be a disadvantage.

The advantage is you are more stable and can sit down on your punches more, pushing off with your feet.

Every little technique has pros and cons so you need to find a balance with what fits your style.

Comment

I sure find that stance to be "the one" for me. It kind of reduces the stress on my rear ankle.

Comment

A lot of people naturally like to do that because it lets them push off their back foot harder to throw their cross. The main problem is laterally moving to the side your back foot isn't pointing to is very awkward and can cause you huge problems against somebody who keeps forcing you to pivot onto that side.

Comment

i'm a taller dude, i hate that stance because i'm so slow to move around, my power is a bit stronger, but i can move a lot better when i have my feet pointed forward and still crank out plenty of power by planting the front of my foot and just swiveling my hip in when i throw my punches.

it's a chain of energy from the ground through your body to your punch and that increases by planting your foot with your calf, swiveling your hip, using ur abs to push the punch, swinging in ur back and ur chest muscles along with your shoulder and extending your arm. So i like the standard stance the best to be mobile and still have power.

another teacher of mine once commented i should have my knees bent inward, like an very slight X.

Comment

the old timers used to call it "Standing in a bucket" because your back foot would be at 90 degrees.

Terrible stance and there is not advantage to it, it just shows poor stance and teaching.

The reason I say this is because it limits your movement and turning of your hips when throwing hooks or straight shots.

Some fighters have even hurt their knee because of this because it locks your knee into position and then when you throw a power shot, it puts stress on the knee.

back foot should be heel off the floor,weight properly distributed and on the ball of your foot so you can turn your shots over.

Comment

Working...
                    X