No announcement yet.

Why I don't get into this PR vs Mexico thing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I don't get into this PR vs Mexico thing

I know it's a great rivalry and people like to troll and start stuff on here but for me, I love fighters regardless of where they are from. Now before you call me a pu$$y and say I'm going soft, here me out.

When you are just a fan, I understand the nationalistic pride one carries. It's something that is inside of us. When I was a kid my uncles used to tell me how great Mexican warriors were and that we never give up or give in, and that's the advantage we had over any other group of people.

When I started boxing though, I started to see through nationalistic lines and appreciate the fighters regardless of where they are from. My favorite boxer was Alexis Arguello just because of his toughness, power and the way he walked people down and destroyed them.

I also loved Chapo Rosario because I never seen someone hit as hard as him in that weight division. When he was scheduled to fight Chavez I was worried because I knew had great power in both hands.

Wilfredo Gomez and Wilfredo Benitez were two of the most talented boxers I have ever seen and were amazing champs.

I guess when you actually have fought (and I'm not trying to put anyone down who didn't) you gain a different respect for fighters and national lines don't matter as much.

One thing I do know is that Latino's are the best and most informed fighters on the planet and it's not even close.

I'm with you I support any fighter no matter where they came from. Some ppl simply let their ignorance take charge in how they express themselves.

What other sport in any given time that any fighter from any country can compete agaisnt each other in the same set of rules?

My all time favorite fighters are Sal Sanchez, Finito Lopez and Marvin Hagler.
    Last edited by TOBYLEE1; 01-15-2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

No seas joto meng pick a side!

No te creas. The rivalry is cool I have nothing against these Puerto Ricans but if they fight Mexicans I'll suppourt Mexicans just to make it more interesting. It's not about about just being nationalistic, boxing is enjoyed a ton more when you are rooting for someone! **** meng , those shivers you sometimes get when you get nervous for the guy you follow. That pain when they get hurt or dropped. That joy when it's the opposite. Nothing beats that ****. Then comming to the site to celebrate your win or feel like **** when they clown you.

I've only rooted against Mares when he destroyed Agbeko's nutsack.

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong, I support La Raza 100% no doubt. I just don't think it's cool when the racist stuff happens and the insults fly that are unnecessary.

I remember watching Chavez vs Macho and wanting to see him punishing him for the things he said but I also like some PR fighters because of their skill.

Some fans will never like any PR fighters simply because they are PR.

Comment

Long live Margarito.... Puerto Ricos Papi!

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            I know it's a great rivalry and people like to troll and start stuff on here but for me, I love fighters regardless of where they are from. Now before you call me a pu$$y and say I'm going soft, here me out.

When you are just a fan, I understand the nationalistic pride one carries. It's something that is inside of us. When I was a kid my uncles used to tell me how great Mexican warriors were and that we never give up or give in, and that's the advantage we had over any other group of people.

When I started boxing though, I started to see through nationalistic lines and appreciate the fighters regardless of where they are from. My favorite boxer was Alexis Arguello just because of his toughness, power and the way he walked people down and destroyed them.

I also loved Chapo Rosario because I never seen someone hit as hard as him in that weight division. When he was scheduled to fight Chavez I was worried because I knew had great power in both hands.

Wilfredo Gomez and Wilfredo Benitez were two of the most talented boxers I have ever seen and were amazing champs.

I guess when you actually have fought (and I'm not trying to put anyone down who didn't) you gain a different respect for fighters and national lines don't matter as much.

One thing I do know is that Latino's are the best and most informed fighters on the planet and it's not even close.
            pu$$y your going soft...........

I kid I kid......

nah but seriously I try to catch as much racist **** and put a stop to it here in the langa.....im all for playfull banter or what not....even heated debate...as long as race don't play a part....

Comment

I love boxing in general but I always root for Mexicans or Chicanos when they are fighting PR's, now that does not mean I do not like PR fighters all together. I like watching Vasquez jr., and Juan Manuel Lopez fight, they come o fight. I also like certain fighting styles pver others, I prefer power boxers like Finito Lopez, Shane Mosely and Mike Garcia but also appreciate bangers who go forward like Bam Bam, Margarito and Santa Cruz. I cant stand fighters like Miguel Vasquez, Carlos Molina, Richard Abril and lately Hopkins, they hold way too much.

Comment

I do think that PR fighters are not doing well as of late. There has always been one super star coming out of PR almost every decade and we are missing that one right now.

Meanwhile, Mexicans and Mexican/Americans are tearing it up as of late and there's a ton more to come.

Comment

On what basis.......please explain this I'm intrigued

Comment

I hear you and respect you. I love the sport and the art of fighting. I too view it as the sweet science. I am Latino and my favorite fighter of all time is Roy Jones Jr.
                    I love and respect all types of fighters and styles no matter where they are from.
                    Julio Cesar Chavez (though I dont believe him to be the best Mexican ever)...I loved watching him. I would call him the perfect fighter.
                    I too watched El Chapo and thought he was great. I watch Floyd Mayweather in Slow motion and you can really see the artistry in his style.

Marco Antonio Barrera to me was an all time great. He too was like a perfect fighting machine.

Felix Trinidad was a destroyer who got very little credit in his technique but was very good.

Also have and have always had a great respect for JMM. He is the best counter puncher I have ever seen. (not just cuz of his recent success either)...I can go on and on.
                    I do agree that Latinos in general are this sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X