No announcement yet.

Boxing politics is a game of Chess

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing politics is a game of Chess

Seriously. People ask why doesn't Canelo fight this or that. Best in the divisions? What about Fraud Jr. Pacquiao. Look, when it comes to cash cows, there is no such thing generally in fighting the best. It comes down to protecting the cash cow and making the best possible business decisions when it comes to preserving that money income. Fighters are a product of a promotional company. They are treated/grown/managed to produce as much income as possible.
    I know some times you get moments where these cash cows do amazing things or pull off wins people didn't think they could, but that's rare. I think the early days in boxing when fighters cared so much about being the true best or going down in history are nearly long gone. Now it's about how quickly can I make huge cash and get the hell out before I get hurt. I always think, is there any guy out there right now whose living in such crap conditions, his life is so miserable, that he will grow up to do amazing things in boxing with the will to win every single time and face the best possible competition out there. How often do they come along?
    Nowadays, especially for American boxers, it's almost like football players or somebody that is coming along to make the big bucks quick and get the hell out. The desire to do historic things seem to lack in many of todays fighters.
    Just thought I'd mention that.
    Last edited by ELPacman; 12-05-2012, 04:18 PM.

Joan Guzman did that this past weekend. his promotional company threw him in there with an undefeated russian cuz they knew it would be a good fight and a good challenge. guzman always wants to challenge himself even demanding a rematch. but even he who came from poor living conditions those conditions arent the same no more. one who is raised in america gets everything provided by the government and society has changed everything is now easier.

Comment

What you are saying is not some new thing, that has always been the way in boxing. Once a guy gets to a certain point they try to hold on to it, greed is not some new phenomena dudes in the past were the same way.

Comment

This is obviously how the promoters try to work things, but all the time as they are doing so they are kept somewhat in check by the attitudes of fans towards what they are doing. Fans' opinions do matter. That's why promoters eventually have to put their guys in with dangerous opponents. Fans are the keepers of the truth in any sport. Because we're the only ones not making money out of it.

Comment

I agree.

Mayweather should fight the following guys in the following order:

1. Aydin

2. Alvarado

3. Alphonzo Gomez

If Pac beats Marquez, he should fight:

1. DeMarco
          2. Zab Judah
          3. As a retirement fight, let's go with Joel Cassamayor

Let's face it, the object is to make as much money as possible with the least bit of resistance.

Pac and Mayweather could make at least 100 million in the above fights and I guarantee they would sell while providing the least bit of resistance.

Comment

Working...
          X