No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cleverly Promises a Front Foot Explosion With Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Cleverly Promises a Front Foot Explosion With Kovalev

Nathan Cleverly is predicting an explosive defence of his WBO light heavyweight world title against Russian Sergey Kovalev in a fight he has dubbed the most important of his career.

Cleverly, 26, will put his 26-0 unbeaten record on the line against the formidable power of Kovalev, who has secured 19 of his 21 professional wins via knockout, with 18 of those coming within three rounds.

Saturday's Cardiff bout presents a potential stumbling block for Cleverly - Kovalev is the bookmakers' favourite - and is a considerable step up from his last title defence in Cardiff, where he secured a convincing unanimous points decision victory over Tommy Karpency.

Frank Warren has admitted he has taken a risk but, with a contract with American cable network HBO on offer should Cleverly win on Saturday, fighter and promoter believe it is a gamble worth taking.
    [Click Here To Read More]

damn they keep talking about a brawl. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Comment

Cleverly sounds very confident. Very excited for this one

Comment

Originally posted by -Body Snatcher- View Post
        damn they keep talking about a brawl. Hope it doesn't disappoint.
        It will disappoint I'm afraid, there will be no brawl. If Clev and Kovalev go toe to toe it's likely going to end in murder, quite brutally and quite quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Wardttke View Post
          It will disappoint I'm afraid, there will be no brawl. If Clev and Kovalev go toe to toe it's likely going to end in murder, quite brutally and quite quickly.
          You've stated the obvious.

Comment

Translation: 'I'm going to run for 5 or 6 rounds, hope Kovalev wears himself out, and get a late stoppage/decision.'

Comment

Cleverly has what, a less than 40% KO percentage and he is sounding like a guy who is 26-0 with 26 KO's. He may get the stoppage but he should be targetting a plan that uses activity and movement, not some explosion that he does not appear to have. If he uses movement and activity, if he is doing well he could turn it up late for a stoppage but that should be his game plan. 50/50 fight in my opinion.

Comment

Cleverly will stick and move and aim to crush Kovalev's body with vicious hooks early on to slow him down. If Kovalev traps him along the ropes, look for sharp right uppercuts to split the Russian's guard and then a side step to safety.

Comment

Cleverly may go into the fight thinking he will fight off the front foot but after he feels Kovalev's power he will be fighting off the back foot and moving with the mindset of surviving, I can almost guarantee it. I am pulling for the youngster regardless.

D

Comment

I know that when I boxrec'd Kovalev's distance fights, most of his fights have ended early, so guess where Cleverly is taking Kovalev. He's taking him to deep water. He has to get there first though.

Comment

Working...
                    X