Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**** or gtfo

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
      Magnetars ain't no joke. I also see most of the Ted talks regarding space. Pretty awesome to look at when I have time and not thinking about boxing. lol

Just imagine if NASA had the same budget as our Defense. We'd discovery much more things every day. I hope to live the day when a man lands on Mars.
      We should live to see men on Mars. Mid century is a realistic aim for that.

Comment

I love learning and increasing my knowledge full stop. But there is not a subject more fascinating and intriguing than space and what lies beyond our planet. If you haven't already, look for Brian Cox's series of programs. Whether it interests you or not, watch them.

I made the mistake of trying to understand dark matter when I was stoned...

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          You've all heard of supernovae. If a supernova happened within a hundred light years, all the life on earth would likely be wiped out. Supernovae occur when a supergiant star explodes or a white dwarf disintegrates.

However, there's something much more powerful and much rarer than supernovae called hypernovae.

Hypernovae happen when a hypergiant star explodes - a hypernova within several thousand light years would wipe out most if not all life on earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypernova
          zMy first time to hear that. Hope no star within a hundred light years radius is about to turn super nova in 12-21-12.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
            zMy first time to hear that. Hope no star within a hundred light years radius is about to turn super nova in 12-21-12.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-Earth_supernova

The nearest type I supernovae candidate is HR 8210 (IK Pegasi), the only one close enough to be a potential threat at 150 light years. It probably wouldn't completely destroy life on earth, but it would likely do considerable damage to the biosphere, like some of the mass extinctions of the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IK_Pegasi

Our stellar neighbor Sirius has a white dwarf companion, and if this one ever went supernova it would be the end of us all. But Sirius B is orbiting the main sequence star (Sirius A) at a safe distance so a type II supernovae will not happen.

There are no type II candidates (supergiants) close enough to damage the earth. If Betelguese went supernovae, it would be a spectacular sight though, probably outshining the full moon!

The nearest hypergiant is much further away, several thousand light years. The largest known hypergiant is 165,000 light years away:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R136a1

Comment

Good thread a little different but good anyway.

Comment

great stuff tunney...

can't green u just yet though...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                  stardust figuring out stars...

amazing...
                  Hell yeah............................

Comment

It wont spark Earth, but when Betelgeuse goes belly-up, it will be close enough to be visible during day light. In the 10th century, when Chinese and Arab astronomers witnessed the last big ass supernovae in our galaxy (now Crab Nebula), it was described as being a "2nd sun" in the sky.

Space time wise, Eta Carinae and Betegeuse are due 'soon' - could be tonight, could be 10 million years from now - short on an astronomical timescale.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                      Hell yeah............................

outer space might be complex and all but it is my belief that the human brain/mind/consciousness is truly the final frontier...

Comment

Working...
                      X