No announcement yet.

Wlad Klitschko has a great quote in The Ring which I think is 100% true

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wlad Klitschko has a great quote in The Ring which I think is 100% true

I'm paraphrasing: "My three losses, if I could take those back I wouldn't. They made me who I am today, a better fighter and a better person."

There are TONS of examples in boxing where guys suffer early career losses that make them better (hopkins, Klitschko, Donaire, etc.). Likewise there are a ton of guys who are undefeated for many years, and when they finally lose they completely fall off (Pavlik, Trinidad, etc.).

I've always been a believer that in most case scenarios, an early loss is a good thing. There are of course exceptions to the rule like Floyd Mayweather or I'm sure some young guy with a lot of talent just gets blasted and never recovers (maybe a guy like Jaidon Codrington or someone like that could have been something).

There is a fairly famous saying that "you learn more from losing than winning"

Comment

Originally posted by madsweeney View Post
      There is a fairly famous saying that "you learn more from losing than winning"
      Tell that to undefeated fighters who brag about their 0.

Comment

I am a believer that a early loss/or losses are better for a fighter.

I mean Wlad, Hopkins, Marquez, Pacquiao are all guys who suffered losses early in their careers (In Wlad's and Pacquiao's case, their early losses were by TKO/KO) but all those guys are now regarded as the best fighters in the world.

Comment

something to think about for sure.

Imagine floyds legacy if he had lost that first castillo fight. I think he could have been better off for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post

Imagine floyds legacy if he had lost that first castillo fight. I think he could have been better off for it.
            It certainly might of changed things.

I've always been interested in how Mayweather would react to a loss. That of course would need to happen to find out lol.

Comment

same here. I think he holds on to that "0" too much. Maybe he would have challenged himself more

Comment

In his case it helped, but for other fighters a single loss can pretty much destroy them.

Wlad's most pertinent quote;

“Sport has one language and that is performance. If you perform well, people will accept you – it doesn’t matter where you come from.”

Comment

Originally posted by LegendOfLink View Post
                  Tell that to undefeated fighters who brag about their 0.
                  tell that to castillo

Comment

Imagine floyds legacy if he had lost that first castillo fight.
                    yeah, and imagine if roy jones jr didn't get his kicked at the olympics
                    imagine if lennox didn't just draw in the first holyfield fight

Comment

Working...
                    X