No announcement yet.

HBO's Compubox Stats are often wrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by street bully View Post
    Anyone who uses compubox to judge fights is fooling themselves. All you need are your own eyes to do the job.
    no kidding. fights are won by rounds. round by round

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter View Post
      Some people believe thay come from a laser-guided computer and they are the absolute truth.

But the reality is that there is just an imperfect human being counting punches. And the one at HBO seems to have a very pro-US bias.

Watch the Jacobs-Pirog fight in HD and count the landed punches, then compare yours to that HBO guy's "Compubox" numbers.

Watch how he counted punches by Chad Dawson last night that fell short, while somehow not seeing some Pascal shots that clearly landed. And he counted MANY punches by Devon Alexander last week that clearly missed.

Punches landed are what determine who wins in the amateurs, except when there's a stoppage. We've all seen how the amateur judges have their biases and make mistakes, so it shouldn't surprise us how HBO's "Compubox" guy makes mistakes too.
      even though I agree with you that Compubox can easily be incorrect, why does everything have to have nationalistic bias to you? I mean, these guys count punches. its not like they have any say on the fight itself, and I would think that they would be professional about it.

I know that former world champ Genaro Hernandez used to be a compubox guy, and I doubt that a former boxer would purposefully put a biased spin on something as simple as counting punches. Its not like anyone is making him do that kind of job, he went after it on his own.

anyhow...Compubox is nothing but a fun stat to look at after the fight is done, and should not influence your round by round score whatsoever.

Comment

Compubox does not have anything to do with HBO.
        They use it in showtime and espn.

Comment

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
          Compubox does not have anything to do with HBO.
          They use it in showtime and espn.
          Of course, but Showtime and ESPN use different people to count the punches than HBO.

HBO has their own man hired to do it.

Comment

is compubox done by a computer? is it a computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla Dogs View Post
              is compubox done by a computer? is it a computer?
              I think so.

Power punches:

Pascal 90 / 252
              Dawson 77 / 218

Comment

Originally posted by bestboxingonly View Post
                I think so.
                No.

There's a guy who counts the punches and types the data into a computer.

Comment

Some people believe thay come from a laser-guided computer and they are the absolute truth.

But the reality is that there is just an imperfect human being counting punches. And the one at HBO seems to have a very pro-US bias.

Watch the Jacobs-Pirog fight in HD and count the landed punches, then compare yours to that HBO guy's "Compubox" numbers.

Watch how he counted punches by Chad Dawson last night that fell short, while somehow not seeing some Pascal shots that clearly landed. And he counted MANY punches by Devon Alexander last week that clearly missed.

Punches landed are what determine who wins in the amateurs, except when there's a stoppage. We've all seen how the amateur judges have their biases and make mistakes, so it shouldn't surprise us how HBO's "Compubox" guy makes mistakes too.

compubox = human beings (old ones at that) pushing buttons.

its not some infallible deep blue sea computer.

that's why you dont judge fights based on who won the compubox stats, a favorite tool that gets the panties of *****s real damp.

Comment

thank god for compubox or else calzaghe fans couldn't say he landed 220 phantom punches. they might actually have to watch the fight and see him swing and miss virtually everything.

Comment

No.

There's a guy who counts the punches and types the data into a computer.
                      ic thanks, lol I thought computer generates them.

Comment

Working...
                      X