Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather Jr vs Casamayor in 2000 (@130)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather Jr vs Casamayor in 2000 (@130)

How do people think this would have played out?

I am sure that serious boxing fans realize this is a serious questions. PBF was only 22-23 at the time, and Casa is one of the most skilled fighters of recent times, a southpaw with a deed bag of tricks, both legal and illegal.

Floyd always engages soutpaws, and Casa is a sharp patient counterpuncher, with great ring generalship, implemented with smooth movement and excellent timing. On top of that he was excellent and very frustrating on the inside.

To me it boils down to whether 1999 PBF had already developed the kind of warfare material, which he would display only much later in 2007 against Hatton (And no i don't think that it was already there in the Jesus Chavez Fight).

There is of course the possibility that it turns into some kind of potshotting fest, but I have never seen a potshotting fest involving Floyd and a southpaw.

This would have been a great fight, but Casa was a no name fighter fighting nobodies at the time, and it is really hard to blame anyone for not making this happen.

Joel was an excellent fighter but Mayweather was elite. Besides everything you've outlined, Floyd could bang at 130. I think Mayweather is just to much for Casa at any point.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Joel was an excellent fighter but Mayweather was elite. Besides everything you've outlined, Floyd could bang at 130. I think Mayweather is just to much for Casa at any point.
      Casa was occasionally down but he dealt with quite a few people who could bang... JLC, Freitas, Corrales.

But I am not questioning PBF's superior physical talents or him being an ATG, I am questioning whether his game was sufficiently developed in 2000 to deal with Casa's bag of tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
        Casa was occasionally down but he dealt with quite a few people who could bang... JLC, Freitas, Corrales.

But I am not questioning PBF's superior physical talents or him being an ATG, I am questioning whether his game was sufficiently developed in 2000 to deal with Casa's bag of tricks.
        This is why I would have loved the fight, I doubt Floyd would have looked sensational, I know that much.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
          Floyd always engages soutpaws.
          But at the time he didn't. Matter of fact Mayweather had only faced one southpaw in his career by then. An 0-7 fighter named Chavez. I remember at the time HBO was pushing for the unification and Mayweather turned them down. At the time I got curious and looked it up.

I do believe Mayweather would have won but stylisticly it would have been a very hard fight for him.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            But at the time he didn't. Matter of fact Mayweather had only faced one southpaw in his career by then. An 0-7 fighter named Chavez. I remember at the time HBO was pushing for the unification and Mayweather turned them down. At the time I got curious and looked it up.

I do believe Mayweather would have won but stylistically it would have been a very hard fight for him.
            Actually mayweather fought a southpaw as early as his 2nd pro fight, and he had fought a total of 3 before his title shot (don't remember if chavez was number 2 or 3). He would not face any other lefty until Corley i believe.

He used to engage with lefties back then too, but at 130 he was more aggressive with orthodox fighters too, so that is maybe where you get the impression.

That being said. I agree that Casa would have been a tough style for him (that is why i made the thread), and I don't know whether PBF had all the tools to deal with that at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
              I think Floyd really wanted no part of guys like Casamayor and Johnston. He knew he wouldn't look good against them, those were big risk low reward(money-wise) fights.
              You know that when fighters win a title from one guy, they often go for a fighter that gave tough fight to champion that they beaten. Like Castillo took on Bazan after taking a belt from Johnston.
              Johnston just had a draw with a fighter that gave Floyd hell and it was very natural to match Floyd with Stevie who after all was also an HBO fighter. There's really no doubt in my mind that Floyd never wanted it.
              Casa I agree (in fact i made the thread).

Actually Johnston was on the way to another WBC title shot, when PBF took the belt from JLC but he lost to Lazcano.

Thing is i don't think Johnston would have posed any problem in 2003. Floyd was at his physical peak (possibly not mentally there though, this is the time of the court cases and stuff), he had put up some experience and I think Johnston was done at that point. He was not at the level at which he was 2 years before. On top of that Johnston was a very good fighter in his own right, great boxer, but did not have that trickery that Casa would have brought the table (ring).

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                I'd give Casamayor good chance to beat Floyd. Not that I'd pick him, but in good day...
                The way Floyd fights southpaws is quite similar to the way that Corrales fought Casamayor the second time. He follows them, but isn't leading much and just tries to counter while being on their face. Casamayor would give him a lot of problems if he fought that way and I'm not sure he has any other idea against southpaws than that. He's really a different fighter against left handers and if you ask me, he's not as good as against orthodox.
                Also if he fought his first world-class southpaw in Casamayor that would be another disadventage. 60/40 fight for Floyd, but no more than that. Very winnable for Joel.
                I think he does more than that. He goes forward and counters in the first rounds, then he starts leading with the right, and counters only after the lead to keep the other guy at bay and continue landing the right lead. Depending on the guy in front of him he will open up with combos more or less, sooner or later.

Comment

Yea I doubt he would have looked good but he still would have found a way to get the W

Comment

Originally posted by kickboxing10 View Post
                    Yea I doubt he would have looked good but he still would have found a way to get the W
                    how do you think he would have done that?

Comment

Working...
                    X