No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Showtime: Mayweather-Guerrero PPV a Financial Success

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Showtime: Mayweather-Guerrero PPV a Financial Success

Stephen Espinoza, the general manager of Showtime Sports, is fully backing the statements made on Thursday by Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer - by confirmed that Showtime's Floyd Mayweather vs. Robert Guerrero pay-per-view event will exceed a million buys. Last Saturday night, Mayweather won a twelve round decision over Guerrero at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Earlier this year, Mayweather signed an exclusive six-fight contract with Showtime, and the fight with Guerrero was his first pay-per-view event not carried by network rival HBO.

By Tuesday, there were widespread industry rumors that Mayweather-Guerrero was a pay-per-view failure and the buyrate was going fall between 800 to 900,000 buys. As Schaefer indicated to BoxingScne.com on Thursday, there is no possible way that anybody could have predicted the pay-per-view numbers by Tuesday, because most of the preliminary figures are not received until Thursday and Friday of post-fight week. [Click Here To Read More]

I wonder where Rafael and Iole got those numbers from, I would reckon a former fighters network home~.

They would be the only one with a real ax to grind~

Comment

I agree with russian crusshin-they should be able to count immediately.

They know if you hook up cable illegally the second you do it. They should have ppv totals by Tuesday or wednesday.

Comment

Spin control in full effect.

Comment

i'm not the one to say.. but in my honest opinion.. I think showtime has screwed up, and they're not ready to admit it was a failure cause it would create negative publicity.. so they're going to stick with "over a million".. in order to keep the casual fans thinking.. mayweather sells!!

I don't think they'll release the actual numbers

Plus they need to put their foot down to demand better opposition...

Comment

more still buying PPV! so wait for few days! this should be tallied already few days ago... IRS is watching showtime, please post the actual numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by voneric View Post
              what he said

Comment

showtime is banking.............

but even if the raw numbers are presented it will still be met with a "showtime is lying and they are just trying to save face!"

Comment

Originally posted by voneric View Post
                  Mayweather vs Ortiz gets 1.3 million buys

"BS then why isn't Showtime making a statement!"

Showtime makes statement.

"BS nothing but spin control"

Comment

Stephen Espinoza was an attorney for Golden Boy for years so obviously it's tough to listen to anything this guy says without assuming there is some spin going on. It would be like if Todd DuBoef got the head sports job at HBO.

Comment

Working...
                    X