No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Looks Forward To BWAA Awards Banquet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Looks Forward To BWAA Awards Banquet

Andre Ward has won an Olympic Gold medal, professional world titles, and the Showtime Super Six Super middleweight tournament. For the unbeaten Ward the accomplishments keep growing. His latest milestone will come at the Copacabana in New York City this June 6, when he receives the 2011 Sugar Ray Robinson "Fighter of the Year" award from the Boxing Writers Association of America.

[Click Here To Read More]

If he does stay humble, and if he does continue to work on his game, there is no telling how far he can go.

Comment

It's too bad Andre Ward will probably only fight once this year. If he fought twice against two top SMW's/LHW he would win another FOTY award since nobody else is really doing anything of note this year. Now that award can very well be Carl Froch's if he beats Kessler. Or it could be Chad Dawson's if he can beat Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        It's too bad Andre Ward will probably only fight once this year. If he fought twice against two top SMW's/LHW he would win another FOTY award since nobody else is really doing anything of note this year. Now that award can very well be Carl Froch's if he beats Kessler. Or it could be Chad Dawson's if he can beat Ward.
        he definitely won't lose to Dawson as I am sure that you know. Why Dawson thinks he can do it at 168 is beyond my comprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Froch is the leading candidate, but Chad could definitely overtake him if he were to win against Ward.

Ward and his team missed out on a great opportunity by not facing Bute right after the Super 6.

Bradley's the dark horse for FOTY...

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
            Froch is the leading candidate, but Chad could definitely overtake him if he were to win against Ward.

Ward and his team missed out on a great opportunity by not facing Bute right after the Super 6.

Bradley's the dark horse for FOTY...
            Bradley is a longer way ahead than the other guys I mentioned. He'll have to beat Pacquiao next week, then beat another worthy opponent by the end of the year. A win over Pacquiao on it's own does not warrant FOTY.

Ward's hand was banged up and needed healing. Can't blame him for not wanting to go another 12 rounds with an injured right hand with yet another top 5 rated SMW. Froch was good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by bibleofboxing View Post
              he definitely won't lose to Dawson as I am sure that you know. Why Dawson thinks he can do it at 168 is beyond my comprehension.
              I think Ward will win a very close, ugly boxing match. But saying that Dawson definitely will not win is going overboard. He can definitely win, he's a southpaw who likes to box. Ward has yet to fight a top southpaw in his career. It'll be his first very good southpaw he faces. While Dawson has already gone 13 and a half rounds with some one with a style very similar to Andre Ward, in Bernard Hopkins. And Hopkins is dirtier and trickier to fight than Ward even at 47, but Ward at this point is a better boxer than Hopkins.

Aside from being a southpaw, Dawson also has some other good advantages, that are only good because of his style. His height, and reach advantage.

Though Dirrell and Dawson don't fight that much alike, Dirrell is a mover, but they do have similarities like they're both southpaw who like to box, are tall, and have long reach. If Ward would have fought and beat Dirrell, that could have given me a better look at how Ward vs Dawson could possibly go. But Ward fighting guys who basically are not known to be really good at outboxing opponents, and play right in to his style, that really doesn't tell me much of how he'd do against an entirely different style like Dawson's.

Comment

Working...
              X