Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Cuban Calls Mayweather; Offers Help To Get Fight in Dallas

MARK CUBAN CALLS MAYWEATHER; OFFERS HELP TO GET FIGHT IN DALLAS
    By Ben Thompson | December 13, 2009

According to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com, Dallas Mavericks owner and billionaire Mark Cuban is extremely excited about the possibility of Cowboys Stadium hosting Mayweather vs. Pacquiao; so much so that he's offered to lend a helping hand to make sure that possibility becomes a reality. "I'm willing to help in any way that I can," he recently stated in an e-mail. "I think it would be great for North Texas and Cowboys Stadium to host the fight."

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has reportedly already offered a guarantee of $25 million to host the showdown on March 13th. Exactly how Cuban plans on helping out is uncertain, however, he does have a friendly relationship with Mayweather, having competed with him on the 5th season of Dancing with the Stars. "I have a call in to Floyd and have offered my assistance. We will see what happens," Cuban added in the email.

For now, Dallas can cheer about the fact that another billionaire has joined the battle to bring the mega-fight to the city. However, MGM Grand will still have an opportunity to match or exceed any proposals that are made. "My position is whoever has the best deal for those two fighters, that's where I want the deal," Arum would also tell ESPNDallas.com. That being said, MGM Grand has yet to even present an offer. In fact, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer would tell Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times that he's still accepting any and all offers throughout the weekend and that he doesn't plan on finalizing the venue until both fighters have officially signed their contracts. "I just added toner to the fax machine and had it serviced right before I left Friday," Schaefer stated. "So keep those offers coming."

Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. Just four days ago, Schaefer canceled a planned trip to meet with Dallas Cowboys officials because he's "not going to do the fight in Texas" and there "isn't enough time to do a fight at an outdoor stadium." Now, all of a sudden, Dallas is still in the running and Schaefer is still taking offers? Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they're in the middle of a bidding war on eBay? I mean, it's fun to watch, but ultimately, the winner is the one who gets their bid in right at the last second. Call me crazy, but there's probably a good reason why MGM Grand has yet to even bother putting in their bid. I'm telling you, book your tickets now while the good rooms are still available.

Incidentally, if anyone is curious, Cuban and his dance partner Kym Johnson were the fifth couple to be eliminated during their season on Dancing with the Stars. Mayweather and his partner Karina Smirnoff were the fourth couple to go, one week prior to them. Knowing the competitive nature of Mayweather, I wonder if it bothered him at all to know that America preferred Cuban's dancing over his own....just curious.

Yo Ellerbe, I'm still waiting for you to call me back!

You have to understand that not only Floyd ducks fighters, he also ducks venues,

Comment

Thats great, if they can bring enough money together then Dallas can be a great option in terms of money for all involve and alot of people would be able to attend because of the big stadiums capacity.

Comment

Mayweather has a big problem now...

I think he and Ellerbe is looking for whatever means to duck Cowboy Stadium..

Comment

Originally posted by MakeDamnSure View Post
          You have to understand that not only Floyd ducks fighters, he also ducks venues,
          -------

Comment

Originally posted by Hard2kill View Post
            Mayweather has a big problem now...

I think he and Ellerbe is looking for whatever means to duck Cowboy Stadium..
            How is it ducking Cowboy stadium? They have 3 options.

Comment

Working...
            X