Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kendom View Post
    Even defense??
    Arguably.

I tend to see that Robinson's defensive abilities are often underrated whilst Leonard's are often overrated.

Both loved to bang. And both could dance and get out of the way of shots and dictate the pace when they wanted.

Comment

Leonard was faster overall. What Robinson had though was brilliant and unorthodox combinations, which allowed him to regularly catch opponents with blind punches. This was also the source of his power. Robinson is the best combination puncher ever, which I see as his primary attribute.
      Last edited by Miburo; 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Heres my question who has better ring iq

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
          Heres my question who has better ring iq
          Robinson for me.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Robinson for me.
            What makes you say that he got dragged into a lot of pointless battles and hit with many pointless shots he shoulda been able to see even late in his career he shoulda been able to out box and out smart some of the fighters he lost to

I mean what would be your thoughts on a Benitez Robinson match up I think he'd get countered to death and lose a decision

Comment

I've got to disagree with most here. I think Leonard clearly (well, ok, not clearly) beats Robinson on a few fronts at least. Leonard could arguably be rated up among the top five fighters of all time.

Due to inactivity, injury and drug abuse, he killed any chance of that. However, his skill alone rates him very highly and the fighters he beat are arguably the greatest ever set of fighters to beat from 147 to 160. It literally does not get any better than Duran (yes, his best weight was much lower, but he was still clearly great at 147 too), Hearns, Benitez and Hagler!

The only pity is that he didn't fight Hearns at 154. However, I have to say that the majority of these are nearly impossible to say one way or another. It is simply that Robinson has the greater resume and much greater longevity.

I would personally give Leonard speed, IQ, defence, footwork, combinations, and jab. In reality, they were nearly the same fighter. Robinson had a greater chin, Leonard had just as much will to win, Robinson had more power, Leonard was a little bit faster, Robinson was a better body puncher (bar against Duran in their first fight when Leonard threw some of the most brutal body ever seen at 147) etc etc.

I don't see how anyone can possibly say with any certainty, apart from resume, that Robinson had everything greater than Leonard. Let's not get caught up now folks.

I personally think it's clear Leonard does a few things better than Robinson from all the film we have. Just because he's the best doesn't mean he does everything better than everyone. In my opinion, there are a few things that Leonard clearly beats him in.
              Last edited by BennyST; 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
                What makes you say that he got dragged into a lot of pointless battles and hit with many pointless shots he shoulda been able to see even late in his career he shoulda been able to out box and out smart some of the fighters he lost to

I mean what would be your thoughts on a Benitez Robinson match up I think he'd get countered to death and lose a decision
                We can't really say since we haven't really seen his best days.

We see his wars with ATG's when he's past his prime like Bastillio and so forth. But to be honest, I have no doubt in my mind that Leonard would also bang with the likes of Bastillio and take unecessary shots, especially the MW version.

We didn't see Robinson's best day's like we did Leonard, but even then, Robinson's ring IQ still is one of the best I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  We can't really say since we haven't really seen his best days.

We see his wars with ATG's when he's past his prime like Bastillio and so forth. But to be honest, I have no doubt in my mind that Leonard would also bang with the likes of Bastillio and take unecessary shots, especially the MW version.

We didn't see Robinson's best day's like we did Leonard, but even then, Robinson's ring IQ still is one of the best I've ever seen.
                  To be fair though, he did like to bang when he could have easily boxed to a decision.

Sometimes also got over-excited which resulted in a flash knockdown against him

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    To be fair though, he did like to bang when he could have easily boxed to a decision.

Sometimes also got over-excited which resulted in a flash knockdown against him
                    Are you talking about Leonard? Or Robinson?

I think that description applies for both of them.

Comment

Im gonna say Robinson on power and chin pretty clearly (though SRL could crack and wasnt exactly packing glass)

Speed is tougher, its tight in both of the following area's but id give Robinson the edge in single shot speed, even short combination speed but Leonard pips him in flurry speed. Leonard was electric and oh so fast when he flurried...

Footwork im tempted to say Leonard again thinking of the Duran rematch but overall id say Sugar Snr!

Great fighters the pair of them and while im not so big on Sugar Ray Leonard he was one hell of a WW and worthy of the Sugar moniker

Comment

Working...
                      X