Collapse
No announcement yet.

any one read ray leonards book

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but these days, it's easier to find out about them outside the ring, with tabloids being what they are and access to the Internet. Hey, nice avatar two posts above me. Is that Marlen Esparza? I was watching her Olympic fights online this week and was glad to find out she took home a bronze. Plus Claressa Shields gave US Boxing their only gold in 2012.

Comment

Yeah ive just about finished it, smashed it in a day (was in hospital bored) minus the last 10- 15 pages which i will finish today

Good read i thought, was never a big fan anyway but the book confirmed what i felt, guy was phoney and fake as well as unbelievably gifted. Yeah on the whole good book. What Oscar book? I read American Son, was decent but The Big Fight is better. Best boxing book ive read is Hands Of Stone

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
        Yeah ive just about finished it, smashed it in a day (was in hospital bored) minus the last 10- 15 pages which i will finish today

Good read i thought, was never a big fan anyway but the book confirmed what i felt, guy was phoney and fake as well as unbelievably gifted. Yeah on the whole good book. What Oscar book? I read American Son, was decent but The Big Fight is better. Best boxing book ive read is Hands Of Stone
        exactly. Many boxers lead chaotic lives but a certain few really go out of their way to present an opposite goody 2 shoes squeaky clean image: SRL, ODLH, and recently pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          exactly. Many boxers lead chaotic lives but a certain few really go out of their way to present an opposite goody 2 shoes squeaky clean image: SRL, ODLH, and recently pacquiao.
          This is it man real talk, and it actually puts u (or me at least) off of them as fighters regardless of how gifted they may be

Comment

i always sensed that 'deception' or fakeness with SRL.

are there any explicit examples or stories of his sort of two-facedness from the book one of you could relay here? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by VIPrice View Post
              i always sensed that 'deception' or fakeness with SRL.

are there any explicit examples or stories of his sort of two-facedness from the book one of you could relay here? thanks.
              He did some sort of commercial or campaign for people not to do drugs yet sniffed coke himself during his free time.

That comes from the top of my head. Tehre's a few more in the book.

I generally find it easier to root for boxers who are rule breaking bad guys that go against the establishment Floyd, Tyson, Jack Johnson, etc. It's the ones who can't proudly display their "bad" that I find hard to back.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                He did some sort of commercial or campaign for people not to do drugs yet sniffed coke himself during his free time.

That comes from the top of my head. Tehre's a few more in the book.

I generally find it easier to root for boxers who are rule breaking bad guys that go against the establishment Floyd, Tyson, Jack Johnson, etc. It's the ones who can't proudly display their "bad" that I find hard to back.
                I see what you mean. I'm still a Leonard and Oscar fan though. I take it you prefer the proud, flamboyant, big talking fighters that don't care as much about a completely squeaky clean image, like Ali, Jones or Mayweather?

Evander Holyfield would probably fall under the category of what you mentioned too (ones who can't proudly display their "bad"), considering he's supposed to be very religious and God fearing, yet has had all those kids out of wedlock and the allegations of assault on women and steroid use.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  I see what you mean. I'm still a Leonard and Oscar fan though. I take it you prefer the proud, flamboyant, big talking fighters that don't care as much about a completely squeaky clean image, like Ali, Jones or Mayweather?

Evander Holyfield would probably fall under the category of what you mentioned too (ones who can't proudly display their "bad"), considering he's supposed to be very religious and God fearing, yet has had all those kids out of wedlock and the allegations of assault on women and steroid use.
                  yessir

I try not to let their personalities and ways of life have too much influence.

My criteria goes
                  1) Style, I like boxers and counterpunchers
                  2) Skill level
                  3) Nationality? Naturally, I'll like a fighter more if he's American
                  4) Personal behavior

Comment

Good book, though I've always wondered about the whole molestation thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X