Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Cus D'Amato compare to the trainers of today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjbj2 View Post
    Isn't that a bit backwards shouldn't Cus D'Amato be in the companionships of Futch, Goldman, and Arcel. While Nacho, Steward, and Roach are a step behind them.

I mean Cus D'Amato trained two fighters who became world class champions from Olympics to inside the professional ring. He trained them since they were kids. Even Nacho, Steward, and Roach never attained anything like that all the popular boxers they train or had came to them all grown men or successful boxers.

Cus D'Amato was a trainer above all others and equal only to a few.
    Sorry buddy but in Mexico trainers usually train their fighters from scratch. I sure the Marquez were trained by Nacho from youth days. It's only here in the states that a trainer tied to HBO and Showtime steal fighters already made by someone else with the help of a sleaze ball promoter. Here's 1 million kid but this is your new trainer, you get my point

Comment

You mean Jose Torres.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
        You mean Jose Torres.
        Yesir, I don't know why I said Miguel.

Comment

The style Cus taught was very intricate, but numerous books I read about Tyson Torres etc all had quotes of Cus, Rooney & Atlas saying that Cus could make a certain kind of guy a damn near perfect fighter. So basically I guess it comes down to the fighter they are training. If the guy fit Cus's mold then I would pick him all day.

Comment

Find Cus to be generally over rated, can someone go through why they think he is on the level of Futch and Arcel please ?, I can't find any way to put him up there with them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
              Are you sure about? And, Cuz also trained Miguel Torres. Who was a good fighter. So he should get credit for that also not just for Patterson and Tyson.

However, how important was Rooney to Tyson success? Granted D'Mato was Rooney mentor. But, we're not going to give Futch credit for Pac are we?

But, OK Nacho trained Zaragosa HOF'er, the Marquez both will be in HOF, Lopez HOF'er. Who's was successful already when Nacho started training them?

Why is Cus ahead of Nacho? Just out of curiosity?

Would you put Cus' ahead of Dundee?

How is Cus' on the same level of Goldman, Futch, and Arcel?
              is no way in hell Cus' is on the level of those 3 as a trainer.
              Not as important as most think.Rooney was only good at training a certain style which is why when he trained (can't think of the fighters name at the moment) it was a disaster because all he knew was that peek a boo style

Also while Futch passed knowledge down to Roach, he was an influentual figure when it came to Manny so I'm not sure how that comparision even works.

I think D'Amato is clearly above Beristein, Steward and Richardson for the simple fact he can quickly spot a flaw and exploit it. Don't believe me, watch that video in which he is joking with Ali. He is pretending to be Frazier and when Ali goes against him, D'Amato throws the same exact punch that Frazier later used to stop Ali when they fought. D'Amato even explain to him how he would get caught and how he would lose.......

That still blows my mind even till this day on how he called that **** to a tee and it played out exactly how he said....Ali making the same mistake and Frazier landing the exact punch.

Comment

I'm impressed by Cus as Tyson's success was heavily based on style. From a totally physical standpoint, Tyson shouldn't have been able to compete with heavyweights (lighter, shorter height, shorter arms, etc). The style ingrained in him by Cus overcame all of those disadvantages and maxed his advantages to their potential.

I rank Cus pretty much above all the active trainers right now, but can't say where he would fit in the "all-time" picture.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                  Where do you rank Cus all-time?

How would you compare him to the great trainers of today?

Goosen, Roach, Nazim, The Mayweathers, Nacho, Steward, Atlas.

LOL ATLAS? HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Atlas is a BUM who never trained a fighter from amateur > superstar. He has destroyed more Boxers than made. His ONLY fighter is Moore who was HANDED to him.

And Nazim? He is good at teaching kids how to box and is a great amateur trainer for olympics but he is horrible Superstar Fight Coach. His theories only work on kids and his advice to Bhop during the fight was "Clinch him man, Clinch"

He needs to setup a small little school and teach kids how to box and teach them theory, but he will never be on the same level as Roach,Steward,Nacho who are superstar coaches.

Roach Steward Nacho = A
                  Nazim = B
                  Atlas = Z level.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                    Sorry buddy but in Mexico trainers usually train their fighters from scratch. I sure the Marquez were trained by Nacho from youth days. It's only here in the states that a trainer tied to HBO and Showtime steal fighters already made by someone else with the help of a sleaze ball promoter. Here's 1 million kid but this is your new trainer, you get my point
                    This is not a true statement and since it is an opinion then I have to say you are wrong. Juan Manuel Marquez fought most of his fights here in the United States and he is just fighting for the first time in Mexico this summer. I don't remember when Marquez met Nacho but it was in the middle of his career if I remember correctly from one of those Spanish interviews. The few I can think of who has a good trainer in the Mexican lineage are Erik Morales' father Jose Morales and Brandon Rios from Robert Garcia and the rest of the Garcia family. The original trainer of Antonio Margarito that man was there for Margarito for a long while. Fernando Vargas is another example the times he changed trainers was when he lost a big fight.

Comment

Nacho and Steward are the best trainers I have seen. They give there fighters a style to work with

Comment

Working...
                      X