Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Measured Against All Time: Juan Manuel Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This piece is all over the place, and I'm a Marquez fan...

Doesn't fight the best fighter at 130, 135, 140

Take away Pacquiao win, after the fourth try and your left with a past prime MAB, Kat, washed up Casa and Diaz

How does this equal ATG? He lost to average-to-good fighters and was made ordinary looking per writers own words. When up against a legit ATG, he was made too look like he shouldn't even box. The article justifies this by placing his status purely on a p4p level, but if ordinary boxers made him look ordinary and an ATG fighter made him look foolish, I'm sure we can look for many p4p and non p4p level boxers/tech types to make him look silly.

Sure he looks amazing against the fighters who fight like Diaz and Kats and even Pac, but c'mon. I certainly think he will be an amazing candidate for the Hall of Fame, but this ATG business is way out of place. He avoided the best comp just for Pac, and it took 4 tries and 6 years total to get a win. To each their own

On a pure trolling level...if JMM is an ATG based solely on Pacquiao win; I can't wait to read Bradley's column
    Last edited by JmH Reborn; 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Why did you fail to acknowledge that an offer was made to Marquez to fight Hamed, Cliff? I mean, it's pretty well documented and all, yet we still have people attempting to argue that Hamed somehow avoided him.

This article didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.Marquez desperately needs Pacquiao on his record to have any sort of credible claim to greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by JAS_JAS View Post
        as expected, aside from pacquiao, his competition/resume is weak...
        If you know boxing you will know that , prince hammed, erik morales, marco barrera all ducked marquez back in the day!! nobody wanted to fight juan!!!

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
          Why did you fail to acknowledge that an offer was made to Marquez to fight Hamed, Cliff? I mean, it's pretty well documented and all, yet we still have people attempting to argue that Hamed somehow avoided him.

This article didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.Marquez desperately needs Pacquiao on his record to have any sort of credible claim to greatness.
          hammed vacated the title!!! what are you talking about?

Comment

Cant believe the overwhelming JMM haters on here. Marquez is an ATG no questions about it and most who dispute that don't know **** about boxing! Marquez never ducked anyone and always gave it 110% in the ring and is one of the smartest boxers in the history of the sport. F*** the haters!

Comment

JMM is an all time great to the same degree that Shane Mosley is an all time great. I'm a really big fan of both of these dudes for similar reasons (attitude, style, grit) but they didn't end up as the very best of their respective generations.

Comment

Marquez is a low-end ATG though. There are clearly better fighters around even now that will be higher at the end of the day.

Pacquiao
                Mayweather
                Hopkins

Comment

without the fights with Pac, JMM would not be where he is

Comment

Marquez an ATG but not DLH who has better wins and resume? Bunch of BS if you ask me. Guess the writer is on the hype to get views.

Comment

ATG? No, IMO, but close...best @'35/'40/his fights w/Pac brought him 2 the attention of US viewers, South of the border, we kniew who he was...I say this, argue if you will;vs 3 of my all time favorites, Duran, Pryor, Benitez, JMM would've been 0-3...they were ATG...as I said, JMM is close, but not there...

Comment

Working...
                      X