Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's dominating mma ? whites ? blacks ? asians ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gandhalf brings up a good point, illustrating the diversity of MMA. I think the UFC markets to the redneck american whites in this country and that is probably why there is less diversity in their organization compared to Pride and other orgs.

White american males needed some outlet to express their manhood, wether directly or by living vicariously through others. Due to blacks and latinos dominating the popular sports of the times, there was a lot of held back rage and testosterone in white males.

This is my theory. I'm not sure if UFC created this marketing strategy, but I think that maybe once that they saw the amount of white males that were gravitating to their sport that they began fostering the growth of white fighters and champions and they were their preferred champion.

Guys like Chuck Liddell, Randy Coutoure and others are helped build mma's popularity in the united states.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelfist View Post
      Gandhalf brings up a good point, illustrating the diversity of MMA. I think the UFC markets to the redneck american whites in this country and that is probably why there is less diversity in their organization compared to Pride and other orgs.

White american males needed some outlet to express their manhood, wether directly or by living vicariously through others. Due to blacks and latinos dominating the popular sports of the times, there was a lot of held back rage and testosterone in white males.

This is my theory.
      It's a stupid one.

You don't understand the geography of martial arts.

Comment

Why don't you offer an explanation of your own, using your brain, rather than just copying a thoughtful post that I made and posting nothing with thought?

Comment

You're sitting in the answer.

Quick. Name me a major wrestling institute in an urban area.

You can't.

Name me an institute in a largly rural area.

Minnesota
          Iowa
          Michigan St.
          Wisconsin
          Ohio St.
          Arizona St.

Why is SoCal and Big Ten territories also MMA hotbeds?

Because they offer opportunities to wrestlers.

Comment

Originally posted by gandhalf View Post
            Here's something interesting. Some guy over at the boxing forum said:

"there are hardly any black MMA fighters..the ones the were are champs (silva) or were champs (jackson)"

In the thread titled "White fighters are taking over Boxing "

Which is bull****. And that's the sad thing about 90% of people who are watching this sport.
            Thats me you are quoting, and its true, the UFC is marketing white Males regardless of what country has been housing MMA for years. If a Division like the UFC has a light heavyweight champion called "Forest Griffin" then you know its just a marketing scheme. I don't believe he's the best light heavyweight in the world. I truly don't, there are plenty of hungry fighter's in 3rd world countries that would do anything to make 500k a fight, and Forrest Griffin, some American redneck with no skills is the champ?

Comment

Bums dominate MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Thats me you are quoting, and its true, the UFC is marketing white Males regardless of what country has been housing MMA for years.
                The UFC is an American based company.

The Majority of people in America are white.

The majority male in this country is White.

That withstanding. I still don't see how there actually marketing towards white males.

How many white males have been LHW champ compared to non white males?

If a Division like the UFC has a light heavyweight champion called "Forest Griffin" then you know its just a marketing scheme. I don't believe he's the best light heavyweight in the world. I truly don't, there are plenty of hungry fighter's in 3rd world countries that would do anything to make 500k a fight, and Forrest Griffin, some American redneck with no skills is the champ?
                Yep his name is a marketing scheme.

They were working with his parents while he was still in his mother.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Thats me you are quoting, and its true, the UFC is marketing white Males regardless of what country has been housing MMA for years. If a Division like the UFC has a light heavyweight champion called "Forest Griffin" then you know its just a marketing scheme. I don't believe he's the best light heavyweight in the world. I truly don't, there are plenty of hungry fighter's in 3rd world countries that would do anything to make 500k a fight, and Forrest Griffin, some American redneck with no skills is the champ?
                  Oh come on. In Forrest's past two wins, he beat Shogun when Shogun was considered the number one light heavyweight and one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, and when he beat Rampage was considered the number one light heavyweight, and again, one of the best pound for pound fighters in the sport.

He doesn't have the best skill set in the 205lb division, but he pulls out good performances through hard work and smart game planning. To say he has no skills is just ridiculous.

Comment

nice research, but very odd subject matter.

Comment

Originally posted by gandhalf View Post
                      Here's something interesting. Some guy over at the boxing forum said:

"there are hardly any black MMA fighters..the ones the were are champs (silva) or were champs (jackson)"

In the thread titled "White fighters are taking over Boxing "

Which is bull****. And that's the sad thing about 90% of people who are watching this sport.

In reality , this sport has some striking resemblance to soccer. (not the sport itself of course) but by the racial makeup. MMA is one of the most racially diversified sport you can imagine.

But it is easy to think that "there's just whites" since Dana White and his monopoly of the sport gives you a distored vision of the entire mma scene.

Some basic facts.

In this sport. Some of the most dominant fighters are

Kid Yamamoto (asian - japanese)
                      Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (latino Brazilian)
                      Anderson Silva (black brazilian)
                      BJ Penn ( from Kailua hawaii - american)
                      GSP (french canadian)
                      Fedor emelianenko (russian)

These guys are part of the P4P list...you can't argue and say that it ain't diversified.

The problem is that most none white participants aren't generally fighting in the # 1 american mma org (which happens to be the ufc). Although they're making an effort.

Pride fc (before the scandal) had one of the most international mma scene imaginable. They used to reflect how the mma scene truely was.

In mma , if you look at all orgs , (not just america)....You'll notice lots of mullatos , blacks (who generally come from brazil)...Lots of japanese fighters (who are almost absent in the ufc) , some latinos , some eastern europeans & of course , white americans.

Hell , i'd go even as far as to say that if we compare Ali's or Tyson's or Wlad's competition to let's say...Nogueira you'll notice that Nog's competition is WAY more "international"

Go ahead , do the experience. Take a look at foreman's or ali's record.
                      90% if not 95M% of their opponents ? born in america
                      http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...0180&cat=boxer
                      http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...0090&cat=boxer
                      http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...7035&cat=boxer

Modern HWs have to deal with a bit more diversified scene though.
                      (remember , russians used to be banned from participating several years ago)

Let's compare shall we ? Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira had to deal with opponents coming from:
                      America
                      Brazil
                      croatia
                      Japan
                      Poland
                      Russia
                      canada
                      Netherlands

Think that's a lot ? Fedor had to deal with opponents coming from:
                      America
                      Korea
                      New Zealand
                      Brazil
                      Croatia
                      japan
                      trinidad
                      lithuania
                      england
                      bulgaria
                      georgia

of course , when the average fan doesn't know any better , and discovers mma via Liddell (for example)...He won't see too much of that "international" scene.

Liddell , for example fought guys from
                      america (of course..and lots of them)
                      brazil
                      armenia
                      netherland
                      And the Pinoys are dominating your mom....

Comment

Working...
                      X