No announcement yet.

"It's up to Bob Arum" or "I'll fight who Bob puts in front of me"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It's up to Bob Arum" or "I'll fight who Bob puts in front of me"

I have seen a ton of Top Rank's contractual fighters say this after their fights. They all seem to do it. What I am wondering is could saying that actually be part of their contract? Does Arum want to keep them low key so he can gain the upper hand in negotiating future fights with potential opponents? As calling them out, can give an opponent an extra bargaining chip of feeling needed and requesting more cash.

I have seen Pavlik and Margarito break from the mold a bit in seeking out Calzaghe and ODLH/Floyd, but they are really big fish in a small pond and Pavlik/Marg need those fish more than those fish need them.

What are your thoughts?

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
    I have seen a ton of Top Rank's contractual fighters say this after their fights. They all seem to do it. What I am wondering is could saying that actually be part of their contract? Does Arum want to keep them low key so he can gain the upper hand in negotiating future fights with potential opponents? As calling them out, can give an opponent an extra bargaining chip of feeling needed and requesting more cash.

I have seen Pavlik and Margarito break from the mold a bit in seeking out Calzaghe and ODLH/Floyd, but they are really big fish in a small pond and Pavlik/Marg need those fish more than those fish need them.

What are your thoughts?
    my thoughts are that you have one of the BEST sigs on here...

Comment

i've noticed that too

Comment

bumping this up to get some daytime opinions

Comment

they all do say it. either they are all very happy with him, or it's in the contract? i dunno, but it's weird man they all say it. wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post

What are your thoughts?
            It's mostly a case of the fighter telling the truth. Only a handful of boxers truly have a major say about who their opponents will be. Most of the contention between a promoter and the fighter is about how much money he'll make. The opponents are negotiated with other promoters and the TV networks buying the fights.

Comment

great sig............

Comment

Arum likes his fighter to be oldschool.

FIghters fight promoters promote.

Thats how it should be

Comment

We're looking at a possible Manchurian Contender.

Comment

Arum has been a big-time promoter for so many years now. His track-record kinda speak for itself.

Many fighters dont want to speculate or call out anyone while such a thing can turn their mind off of their training. They stick to what they can control. That's why they hire a manager to take care of business, although that doesn't mean that fighters don't plan a strategy careerwise with the manager.

Comment

Working...
                    X