No announcement yet.

How did Sam Langford..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did Sam Langford..

.. gain over 60 pounds throughout his career and still be in good shape?

The earliest recorded weight of his that I could find was that he weighed in at 140 when he fought Joe Gans in 1903 (he was around 20, at the time). In 1916, he weighed in at around 200 pounds (he was around 33).

How is it possible for a man to gain over 60 pounds, throughout his career?

Langford was a phenom. His power struck fear even into Jack Dempsey. Pictures of him at heavier weights show him to be quite muscular but not too bulky. He was genetically gifted the same way Tyson was I guess, but perhaps moreso.

From the footage I've seen, Sam Langford was only vulnerable to being hit with a jab. Other than that, he was a master stalker who used his range and methodical defense to break down men much naturally larger.
    Last edited by geribeetus; 12-24-2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

langford is overrated,all this talk,what has he done that is so spectacular

Comment

Originally posted by boxerca View Post

The earliest recorded weight of his that I could find was that he weighed in at 140 when he fought Joe Gans in 1903 (he was around 20, at the time). In 1916, he weighed in at around 200 pounds (he was around 33).

he borrowed some steroids from Pacquiao & Mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
          langford is overrated,all this talk,what has he done that is so spectacular
          He beat top fighters from 135 to heavyweight. Some of the best fighters in history.

Comment

I would say that boxingrec isn't the most accurate of record keepers and also in those days I don't think the weigh ins were always as precise as they are now. Lot of guys used to weigh in wearing their clothes etc.

Comment

Me personally I put on 50 lbs since highschool when i was 18 now 24 and I am not fat at all. I kinda just filled out more. im like 180 area bordering on 6'1

Comment

Originally posted by aristotlemoses View Post
                Me personally I put on 50 lbs since highschool when i was 18 now 24 and I am not fat at all. I kinda just filled out more. im like 180 area bordering on 6'1
                Well that is interesting. I'm not sure how it's done but yeah. The thing with Langford, though, was that he was only 5'6 and weighed around 140, when he was 20. That's not a skinny figure. It's pretty normal. But when he was around 33 he weighed in at around 200 pounds. For a man who's 5'6, 200 pounds is a lot. And his looked all natural.

So I just wanna know how he can go from being full or nearly full grown to just adding 60 pounds of all of a sudden. I doubt it all had to do with weights, since they were frowned upon, back in the day.

Comment

For a man who's 5'6, 200 pounds is a lot.
                  It would classify him as obese I believe!

Personally I have my doubts that Langford ever weighed more than 170 ish but thats only an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                    It would classify him as obese I believe!

Personally I have my doubts that Langford ever weighed more than 170 ish but thats only an opinion.
                    Here's two pictures of Sam Langford against Joe Jeanette on December 20, 1913:

Two months earlier he weighed in at 199¼, when he fought Joe Jeanette, at MSG, in a separate fight.

Two months after he weighed in at 200 against a man named Bill Watkins.

I'm guessing that his fighting weight, for that time period, was around 200.

Comment

Working...
                    X