Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatton and Graham to split?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...821094,00.html

Ohhhhhhhhhh....................

Maybe a change would help ricky get sharper & work on "NOT FIGHTING WITH HIS FACE", not sure who would work with him, doubt any of the big american trainers would want to work with him (because of his life style when not in training, and doubt ricky would want to train away from home), maybe another british trainer, someone like Adam booth, not sure toh, what you guys think?

Comment

I don't think it'd be a great idea for him to split with two fights left to go. Matthew Hatton has been an underachiever with Graham but he is ideally suited to Ricky's style. Would be teaching an old dog new tricks if he were to seek another trainer.

Comment

I don't think he can learn too much at this point of his career but maybe a change will do him good.

Comment

i dont see what Graham brings to the table tactically apart from being a good conditioning coach

a real coach would have developed Rickys Boxing skills more and got him to throw down the middle a lot more and to use the jab more and not be so anxious to get inside bullrushing all the while whilst getting tattooed with punches on the way in

Ricky has good speed ,he is a good body puncher ,and he has very good footwork but he stands to square on takes to many shots and never uses straight punches ,even when he throws a 1 2 he arks this right hand kinda like a half right hand half hook that more often than not is a cuffing punch that lands on the gloves most of the times ,his hooks are wide aswell

Hatton should fight more with his head instead of his heart he would have stood a better chance of being competitive against the likes of PBF and he would not have got outboxed by Collazo

Comment

Originally posted by Terrible... View Post
            i dont see what Graham brings to the table tactically apart from being a good conditioning coach

a real coach would have developed Rickys Boxing skills more and got him to throw down the middle a lot more and to use the jab more and not be so anxious to get inside bullrushing all the while whilst getting tattooed with punches on the way in

Ricky has good speed ,he is a good body puncher ,and he has very good footwork but he stands to square on takes to many shots and never uses straight punches ,even when he throws a 1 2 he arks this right hand kinda like a half right hand half hook that more often than not is a cuffing punch that lands on the gloves most of the times ,his hooks are wide aswell

Hatton should fight more with his head instead of his heart he would have stood a better chance of being competitive against the likes of PBF and he would not have got outboxed by Collazo
            btw if ricky joins with that pad man it would be stupid.. what can billy grahams assistant teach him that he dont already know.

Comment

btw if ricky joins with that pad man it would be stupid.. what can billy grahams assistant teach him that he dont already know.

i agree i think someone like Manny Steward would be good for Ricky i know a lot of Manny fighters recently have not done so well but that is mainly due to the fact none of them can fight inside ,Ricky Hatton does know how to fight inside its his long distance Boxing that needs working on and IMO Manny is great at utilising that strategy i thought J C Chavez improved his Boxing skills when he joined up with Manny

Comment

Hatton could have been pretty incredible IMO had he added a little box and move to his game (or kept it there!). He has speed, power and movement and if he had concentrated more on his outside game he could have been excellent I think.

Comment

It's something of a misconception that Hatton doesn't throw straight punches. He does, he throws a straight right hand that's like an arrow but he tends to use it as a fast lead punch that gets him inside. Given his physical limitations it make no sense for him to throw lots of straight punches at distance so he uses them as setup punches.

Hatton also has a decent range of jabs I've noticed too, he has a good inside jab and an up-jab which can be effective. His flaws are not with his punching, they're with his defence. When he chooses to box and punch in combination he can be brilliant, especially when he will feint his way in throw of a combination then sidestep around his opponent and throw again. The problem is he looks to hold just a touch too much and this sometimes hampers his effectiveness and leaves him open to counters. The other thing he tends to do is stand out of range poised to strike then leaping forward. It works out OK when he's fresh but when he is tired in the later rounds it becomes a bit obvious and he tends to run onto big punches.

He'd be OK with Graham but he just needs more emphasis on his lateral and head movement instead of bullrushing and attempting to overpower.

Comment

Originally posted by abadger View Post
                    Hatton could have been pretty incredible IMO had he added a little box and move to his game (or kept it there!). He has speed, power and movement and if he had concentrated more on his outside game he could have been excellent I think.
                    Yep and if Mike Tyson could have moved like Ali you are what you are .

Comment

Working...
                    X