Are you afraid of death?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
    Someone's been watching Brian Cox.

We are our conscience, our bodies are but a machine. We have the ability to question and appreciate art, ponder our existence etc which separates us from other animals.

This doesn't mean we're inhabited by something like a soul and can exist after death or our body is merely a vessel for such an entity. Our ability to ask these questions and understand so much is powered by energy from the food we consume. Once we are physically dead, the brain no longer has any power and dies too.

Certain things are obviously hard-wired into our body like fearing death, although this can be overcome with our superior intelligence. But not without an experience that changes this perception, merely saying one doesn't fear death is easy until you're close to it or via another experience.

You're still talking in riddles, can we not keep on the same subject without you addressing me with a vague answer then proposing an irrelevant question?
    The consciousness is the soul is. Who the **** is Brain Cox? I don't fear death because I don't have anything in life.

This is a good watch:

Comment

Originally posted by Fury View Post
      The consciousness is the soul is. Who the **** is Brain Cox? I don't fear death because I don't have anything in life.

This is a good watch:

I'll watch it later, it's too late now.

Surely you fear death more because you have nothing to show for your life? Are you not anxious to be satisfied? I think you're lying to yourself or comforting yourself with an after life thought if you believe you're not afraid.

You should be terrified.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
        I think everything just goes black. That's it. No thoughts, no visions, nothing. Infinite nothingness.

I don't care what anyone says, that's a bit unsettling.
        I'm betting a majority of Lounge posters won't even notice the difference.

Comment

I'll watch it later, it's too late now.

Surely you fear death more because you have nothing to show for your life? Are you not anxious to be satisfied? I think you're lying to yourself or comforting yourself with an after life thought if you believe you're not afraid.

You should be terrified.
          I'm not dead yet. I've changed a lot in the last year. Anyway, who really has anything to show for their life at the end? Only a few people have really changed the world.

Death is exciting; imagine not being limited by your five senses outside of your programming.

Comment

Originally posted by Fury View Post
            I'm not dead yet. I've changed a lot in the last year. Anyway, who really has anything to show for their life at the end? Only a few people have really changed the world.

Death is exciting; imagine not being limited by your five senses outside of your programming.
            Well, people's perception change when events occur like having kids, obtaining a certain degree of materialistic objects etc and as I said earlier, those who accept death are ultimately at peace/satisfied with the life they've lived.

As cliché as it sounds, life is full of struggle and it's when we overcome the adversity we feel fulfilment. One person's idea of a 'good life' will differ from others, some people never really ponder it. I will have a legacy after my life is gone, I will live out my last days knowing I've made an impact in some shape or form. I won't be the next great Prime Minister or discover a cure for cancer, but I will be remembered in some capacity. It's something I feel that I know others don't, some may but it's not something I share in common with everyone.

Satisfaction comes from within and whilst people can judge your achievements and failures, effort is between you & yourself. You can't kid yourself that you've tried when you haven't really and we've only got one shot in this life so give it your all. Falling back on an afterlife only allows complacency.

Comment

i'm more scared of not being prepared when i go and leaving **** for my family to clean-up or having a prolonged illness and becoming a big burden to my family. oblivion doesn't scare me as much.

Comment

Sometimes i wish i was dead already.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
                  I'm betting a majority of Lounge posters won't even notice the difference.

Ha...

Comment

Fear is the wrong word, it's the realisation that you have an end. When I think about death, I know it's inevitable and it doesn't really bother me. But when I really ponder it, it worries me.

Maybe it just depends on your state of mind or how much you really think it through. Ultimately, I think it falls down to how you view your own life and whether you feel fulfilment. There is no point wasting an emotion on the inevitable and you'll never realise you're dead.

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                    I see a lot of bravado in here coming from guys whom I have a great amount of respect for, but I'm curious : How many of you guys have been legitimately close to death?

I don't need to hear the details of what it was that you went through, but I want to know how many of you have escaped it yourself.
                    I honestly think a lot of it is cultural too. I find that most Americans (not you guys particularly) are so scared of death. American's don't even really like to talk about it or even mention it. In Mexico, it's a part of who we are, we have 2 days set out just for the dead and we laugh at it and understand it because we know it's something that is waiting for all of us.

I'm not going to go into details because I will be called a liar and people will say I'm making **** up but not only have I been close to death, but I have also witnessed very close people die right in front of me, including my mother.

So I'm very familiar with death and I don't want to die. I'm not being a bad ass in that regard, I just understand it's there, waiting for all of us and you HAVE to come to a point in your life where you accept it and even embrace it.

I have a fear of how I'm going to die, hoping I don't suffer but not of death itself. It would be like being scared of rain, or lightning. You can't stop it, you can't slow it down so you might as well just understand it, deal with it and it should make you feel more alive knowing you have just one life.

Comment

Working...
                    X