Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words - Canelo-Floyd PPV: The $65/$75 Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words - Canelo-Floyd PPV: The $65/$75 Question

by David P. Greisman - As far as pay-per-views go, we’ve never spent more — but we’ve definitely received worse.

In reality, we don’t yet know what we’ll actually receive on Sept. 14 beyond a bout between Canelo Alvarez and Floyd Mayweather. Theirs is a card that pairs the most popular fighters in their respective countries and features them in the headline match of what will be the biggest event of the year.

How big an event, and how good of one, is still to be determined.

Two things are for certain:

First, Alvarez-Mayweather is no different than any other pay-per-view. It is a gamble, with boxing fans hardcore and casual spending their money without knowing whether the undercard and feature fights will be dramatic, entertaining and notable, or dreary, boring and quickly forgotten. But the personalities and pedigrees of the main event fighters alone make the show newsworthy; Mayweather is a future Hall of Famer going for his fourth lineal championship against an undefeated titleholder who is much younger and naturally heavier.

And all of the above brings us to the second topic of conversation: Those involved in the pay-per-view are seeking to break records, and they are pulling out all of the tops — and enlisting us — to try to break them.

It’s already expected to be the most lucrative boxing match ever in terms of the box office revenue. Tickets, priced at $2,000, $1,500, $1,000, $600 and $350, sold out promptly (and a significant number were soon seen on the secondary market). Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions told Dan Rafael of ESPN.com that the live gate would come out to at least $18,647,000 and could even top $19 million. Either of those figures would exceed the gate of $18,419,200 brought in by the 2007 fight between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather. [Click Here To Read More]

I'll only pay for this drain fest if Matthysse-Garcia gets put on it

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
      I'll only pay for this drain fest if Matthysse-Garcia gets put on it
      Shut your punk ass up knowing damn well your soft cry baby ass will be on here commenting about the fight with or without Garcia vs Lucas!

Comment

I'll dish out $75 to watch Floyd humiliate another Mexican't. I can afford it I'm not poor lol

Comment

Originally posted by Silky_Smooth View Post
          I'll dish out $75 to watch Floyd humiliate another Mexican't. I can afford it I'm not poor lol
          You know most people on welfare are considered poor in the united states. Did you sell some drugs or rob a house recently my dude?

Comment

Originally posted by WARQUEZ View Post
            You know most people on welfare are considered poor in the united states. Did you sell some drugs or rob a house recently my dude?
            I'm not black you butthurt little midget.

Comment

Originally posted by Silky_Smooth View Post
              I'm not black you butthurt little midget.

Comment

I dont giva f**k what they charge im gettin this fight no matter what!!!!!!!TMT!!!!!!!!

Comment

£20 in uk for a boxing channel for a month

Comment

Ripoff

65-75bucks for this? I already know the outcome. Canelo will get schooled. Forget it.

Comment

Working...
                    X