No announcement yet.

Newbie needing direction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needing direction

Hey guys (and girls if there any of u out there ), okay im kinda new to this and i just spent the last twenty mins or so lookin over a few threads so i aint bringing much new up here. Basically im 19, i know im not really in good shape at all hence me wanting to do something about it, first of all i wanna get my fitness up and burn off a bit of that flab, ive given up drinkin alcohol and i dont smoke so i should be able to get fitness up with some roadwork.

2ndly im not the biggest of guys, im about 5ft 8/9 weighing bout 9-10 stone (havnt weighed recently so havn't a clue) neways i wanna build up a bit, getting to a gym is a problem as i live far away and don't have a car, so im thinkin of buying some dumbells, any suggestions of other things to do? im thinkin sit ups, burpees etc for fitness but for muscle what could i do apart from weights? and how would i focus on different muscle groups? any websites with tutorials would be real cool

then 3rdly after i get into shape sometime next year id like to look into boxing more for training, neways i was wondering what age most of you peeps started boxing and how long it took you to get ready for your first fight. im not sure i wanna go into fighting, but i would like to practice punching etc just to get my puny, lazy ass doing something to keep fit and learn to fight.

also i know diet is important, whats best kinda diet?
    for building its carbs carbs carbs? but that doesnt go well with fitness, could you fill me in with some details please!!

cheers people
    sorry for the long message hah!

Originally posted by Raekwon
    Hey guys (and girls if there any of u out there ), okay im kinda new to this and i just spent the last twenty mins or so lookin over a few threads so i aint bringing much new up here. Basically im 19, i know im not really in good shape at all hence me wanting to do something about it, first of all i wanna get my fitness up and burn off a bit of that flab, ive given up drinkin alcohol and i dont smoke so i should be able to get fitness up with some roadwork.

2ndly im not the biggest of guys, im about 5ft 8/9 weighing bout 9-10 stone (havnt weighed recently so havn't a clue) neways i wanna build up a bit, getting to a gym is a problem as i live far away and don't have a car, so im thinkin of buying some dumbells, any suggestions of other things to do? im thinkin sit ups, burpees etc for fitness but for muscle what could i do apart from weights? and how would i focus on different muscle groups? any websites with tutorials would be real cool

then 3rdly after i get into shape sometime next year id like to look into boxing more for training, neways i was wondering what age most of you peeps started boxing and how long it took you to get ready for your first fight. im not sure i wanna go into fighting, but i would like to practice punching etc just to get my puny, lazy ass doing something to keep fit and learn to fight.

also i know diet is important, whats best kinda diet?
    for building its carbs carbs carbs? but that doesnt go well with fitness, could you fill me in with some details please!!

cheers people
    sorry for the long message hah!

Boxers diet is carbs carbs carbs.

Here is a sample workout that contains nothing fancy and will get you in tip top shape, I recommend it GREATLY!

MEDICINE BALL WARMUP
    Shoulder/Core Prep
    Hold a 10-lb ball with both hands, arms extended in front of you, and move it in 10 large clockwise circles. Then move it in 10 counterclockwise circles. Raise the ball above your head and repeat.
    Medicine Ball Squat
    Hold the ball behind your head with both hands and squat. Two sets of 20
    Medicine Ball Calf Raise
    Hold the ball behind your head and go up on tiptoe. Two sets of 20

Light 1 minute Jog
    6-uphill sprints/Run down backwards

Rubber Ball Hand-Speed Drill
    Stand in the middle of a large, open room. Bounce a small superball on the floor and catch it on the first bounce. Repeat, but bounce it a little farther away or a little softer, so you have to move even quicker to catch it. Keep varying bounces. Five minutes

Jump Rope-3x3
    Heavy Bag-3x3
    Shadowbox-3x3
    Punch Out Drills-3x1
    Speedbag drill-1x1-cooldown
    SandBag Lifts-10 HEAVY AS YOU CAN
    Dumbbell snatch-10 HEAVY AS YOU CAN
    Burpees-20
    Sledgehammer finisher-3x2

Abdominal Work

Crunches-30x4
    Bicycle Crunches-30x4
    Standing Twists-30x4

Give that a shot, it is a pretty good overall boxers workout however every other day you may want to alternate on uphill sprints and run 2 to 3 miles instead.

Anymore questions please come back, plenty of members here with great knowledge.

Comment

thanks for that, ill give it a go, not sure that ill be able to motivate myself for the roadwork with it being winter tho, how do you guys motivate yourself to get up early and go out in the freezing cold for a run? you go out in wet weather etc as well?

Comment

thanks for that, ill give it a go, not sure that ill be able to motivate myself for the roadwork with it being winter tho, how do you guys motivate yourself to get up early and go out in the freezing cold for a run? you go out in wet weather etc as well?

It's hard but put on some clothes and a nice jacket and get going....This is a lifestyle for me, although it is hard...You have to want it you know??????

I have a photo with me at all times of how I use to look and that is all of the motivation I need.

Comment

And how did you use to look, was it that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by leff
            And how did you use to look, was it that bad?

Horrible...I was 5'5 200 pounds....

I will post before and after pics...Totally disgusting and that is with clothes on.

Comment

welcome to boxing scene Raekwon

Comment

not sure if this will help you, maybe. Back before I got sick I used to get up around 4 am and start my runs every morning, and later in the day I'd go to my job it was mostly building frames/putting up ceiling joists (this was a tech job) anyway I had the same problem with it being too cold to bare, I couldn't stand it, and I'll tell you one thing that works is showers.

Honestly. This may seem crazy but every morning I would turn on the shower after I ran onto the coldest water possible and just get in it hurt like hell being so cold but honestly after about a week of doing that it really toughened me up for the cold. You would really be surprised. Just turn on the shower and take a shower in the freezing cold, get in without thinking about doing it.

but if you just want to do roadwork the cold shouldn't bother you too much. I do carpentry, not sure if roadwork is OSHA regulated but if it is you'd have to have osha regulated boots, I have my osha approved coat and jeans and my g-d this stuff is good enough for the military. I don't feel a bit cold doesn't matter how it is outside, that's why it's all osha regulated. Don't go spend 100 bucks on a carpentry fleese coat just get a good dickie coat it's cheaper, that's what I have it's amazing

Try the shower thing if you're turned down by the cold, I swear it'll toughen you up to the cold in no time flat. It sucks but it's worth it!

Oh and mazel tov on getting fit and boxing! Like Spinks I was way out of shape, this has changed my life and it's not as deathly hard as many people would make it out to be. Exersizing and getting in shape will be hard and painfull, but it's a kind of hard pain that you'll enjoy (i know that sounds weird but it's true, you'll love the aches in your muscles) you'll feel better physically so quick and you'll feel better about yourself. Welcome to the forums!

Comment

for motivation, i use music, desire, and the ladies, also i want a title so that helps too.. think about the ladies. you need to find what motivates you no matter what it is, even if its the smallest thing blow that up and make that the basis for your training, ask yourself what it is you want to achieve and never, NEVER LET THAT OUT OF YOUR HEAD!!!! good luck my friend.

Comment

thnx for all the input people, i never really been a fan of the cold lol, but i have heard that runnin in the cold has advantages to fitness, kinda like running in the heat? ne1 know if this is true?
                    the cold shower thing sounds kinda scary to me but if it gets me up then ill give it a try
                    once again thanks for all the input

Comment

Working...
                    X