Collapse
No announcement yet.

YESTERDAY at the Boxing Hall of Fame...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YESTERDAY at the Boxing Hall of Fame...

I had never been to the Hall of Fame, yesterday was my first time ever...really amazing trip..next year I play to get a hotel and stay for two nights at least...my only regret is that I had to leave last night and couldn't stay later at Graziano's, that place is like the headquarters and I'm sure last night it was jam packed until the early hours... anyway, I got in yesterday at 12 noon...and I ran into many old friends, acquaintances and boxing fans, it was crazy...GREAT TRIP...Kostya was there, I saw him at an autograph signing but didn't get to meet him...spent some time with Michael Carbajal at Grazianos, hadn't seen him since the 1988 Olympic Trials!!! I'll post pics in a couple days...

I called Dickie Ecklund because someone said he was there and not only was he there at his hotel but he immediately came down and picked us up in a golf cart (Aaron Pryor rode past in his own golf cart, going in the other direction) ...Dickie is always entertaining and today was no exception...we went to Graziano's and got a table, (me, him and two of my friends) and it was so crazy, within 5 minutes there were numerous bottles of beer on the table from fans who ordered them for Dickie just so they could get in with him, he was wanting to finish one of them and get ready to go the banquet but it was impossible, every 30 seconds someone came up and wanted to take a photo with him...

Angelo Dundee sat near us at Graziano's...he was in a wheelchair!! But he was VERY NICE and seemed mentally sharp as ever... I'm not sure if he was in the wheelchair because he cant walk anymore or because he's so much older now and they didn't want him to wear himself out walking everywhere all day...

Also, boxing is such a small world and life is funny how we can inter-connect...check this out: when I first got there at 12 noon I made quick plans to meet Frank Stallone at Graziano's...so I come in and he is sitting at a table with Chuck Zito and a couple guys...well, one of the guys gets up to leave and is talking to Chuck before he heads for the day...I am looking at him and I have a funny feeling as to who it is...he looks familiar, a blast from the past...when he starts to leave I ask Chuck what his name is and he tells me, "Tom Patti"...well, how about this for small world?? I fought Tom Patti 26 YEARS AGO in the Golden Gloves!!! He was a part of Cus D' Amato's stable (Kevin Rooney worked his corner when we fought and if u look at the old fims of Tyson when he was in the house in Catskill you can often see Tom sitting right next to him at the dinner table..so we call him back over and have a nice reunion...amazing...

also, the very first person I ran into when I got to Canastota was a former cruiserweight named David Sewell, Dave and I used to spar each other back in 1988 at Sugar Ray's gym in Maryland, I even the sessions on tape...and then at Graziano's later on I ran into a woman named Carol from Florida, huge boxing fan who I first started talking to online more than 12 years ago...Leon Spinks were there just hanging out, too...

Also, this is really cool, too...when I first got there at 12 noon today someone at the memorabilia show told me, "Oh man, you shoulda' been there this morning...Jesse James Lejia gave a talk to the crowd and someone asked him about what it was like in the hours before a fight and he told the crowd that "John Scully has the best description I've ever heard as to what its really like for fighters in those moments" and then he recited your 'dressing room quote' for them."

I talked to Al Bernstein for a while at the autograph show, first met him in 1989 when he was the commentator for my first TV fight...Jimmy Lennon Jr. was giving a talk for the fans at the Pavilion, memories from his experiences in the game...

Next year I plan to go for two days and get a hotel room...it was a boxing fans FANTASY, believe me...hanging out at Graziano's is probably the most amazing thing any boxing fan could ever do...its like being at a family dinner and every fan, boxer, trainer, is your family...
    Last edited by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY; 06-12-2011, 10:22 AM.

nice man...surprised it was your first time there...glad you had a great time..got any pictures??

Comment

yea, first time...many times I wanted to go but fights or something always came up...Ill DEFINITELY be back though, wow..I will get the photos online ASAP...I took some with Angelo Dundee, Dickie, Carbajal and a few other guys, yes...

Comment

Thanks for sharing those stories. I plan on definitely checking out the IBHOF at least once in my lifetime. Sounds orgasmic.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
          yea, first time...many times I wanted to go but fights or something always came up...Ill DEFINITELY be back though, wow..I will get the photos online ASAP...I took some with Angelo Dundee, Dickie, Carbajal and a few other guys, yes...
          good look scully..thats amazing..id love to sit down and talk to dundee about boxing for hours at a time...

Comment

Also, they said Tyson came outside with his wife and kids but the fans went so crazy for him that he had to go right back inside, they said it was too out of control....

Comment

niiice glad mikes enjoying life and getting the credit he earned from his career...he seems to be so happy lately

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
                niiice glad mikes enjoying life and getting the credit he earned from his career...he seems to be so happy lately
                Yea, im happy Mike's life didnt go in the direction many thought it would.

Comment

Thanks for the story. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Comment

I should have them up and ready to view at some point tomorrow Ill just put them in this thread right here...

Comment

Working...
                    X