Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with Wale Omotoso (Jesse Vargas' opponent tonight)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with Wale Omotoso (Jesse Vargas' opponent tonight)?

from a glance at his record, i see that he's been on a few big event undercards in the last couple years, but the only thing i can recall seeing of him was his stoppage win over Emanuel Augustus in 2009 (which obviously doesn't tell a whole lot about his chances tonight).

currently hunting for more tape of the guy, but does anyone who's seen much of him think he has any real chance of stopping Jesse Vargas tonight?

not expecting much response, but any informed opinion appreciated.

Can't recall whether I've seen Jesse Vargas (although have heard the name), but have seen Omotoso a few times.

He's a natural slugger with steadily improving boxing skills - looks to have good power & strength as well as solid stamina (atleast with the opponents he's faced so far, some of whom had some solid skills) - but he has a tendency to get wild & telegraph his punches when things don't go his way.

Rough, strong fighter with power but the jury is still out whether he's got the smarts to make it to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
      from a glance at his record, i see that he's been on a few big event undercards in the last couple years, but the only thing i can recall seeing of him was his stoppage win over Emanuel Augustus in 2009 (which obviously doesn't tell a whole lot about his chances tonight).

currently hunting for more tape of the guy, but does anyone who's seen much of him think he has any real chance of stopping Jesse Vargas tonight?

not expecting much response, but any informed opinion appreciated.
      I've seen him before, he is a big puncher but unrefined. Check out his opposition's records on boxrec too. You will find that his own record is rather deceiving as he fought most of them when they were in "bad" times of their careers.

This is the guy that he fought two fights ago (Daniel Sostre)
      2012-11-17 146 Phil Lo Greco loss, TKO, 7
      2012-09-15 145 Wale Omotoso loss, UD
      2012-05-24 142˝ Danny O'Connor loss, RTD
      2011-10-21 138 Gabriel Bracero loss, UD
      2011-07-15 141ź Raymond Serrano loss, UD
      2011-04-08 145ź Damian Frias Draw

The guy he fought before that (Larry Smith)
      13 losses in his last 15 fights, Omotoso fought him on fight number 12 of the losing streak

The guy he fought before that was (Nestor Rosas)
      He has lost his last 3 fights, 2 by KO and Omotoso was his last loss.

There is a Documentary about his career: The Fighter's Factory
      He apparently came from a very rough life and was in a street gang at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by macman
        Can't recall whether I've seen Jesse Vargas (although have heard the name), but have seen Omotoso a few times.

He's a natural slugger with steadily improving boxing skills - looks to have good power & strength as well as solid stamina (atleast with the opponents he's faced so far, some of whom had some solid skills) - but he has a tendency to get wild & telegraph his punches when things don't go his way.

Rough, strong fighter with power but the jury is still out whether he's got the smarts to make it to the next level.
        This might just be enough to beat Vargas... I think Vargas BLOWS. Or maybe its just his boring style.

I did pick Vargas for tonight tho.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

thanks for the input, fellas - all others welcomed, too.

macman, figured it'd be an Aussie who would've seen most of this guy. thanks.

mathed, saw the impressive KO% and wasn't swayed by it. thanks for the further research on his comp and the vid (will view shortly).

Comment

Originally posted by 1PunchKOPOW! View Post
            This might just be enough to beat Vargas... I think Vargas BLOWS. Or maybe its just his boring style.

this here is why i'm looking into Omotoso's chances. i, too, feel that Vargas is deeply mediocre.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
              this here is why i'm looking into Omotoso's chances. i, too, feel that Vargas is deeply mediocre.
              Co-sign, i also don't think he's anything to brag about myself. Which is why Floyd probably allowed him to be promoted by someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310
                Quote:

Originally Posted by 1PunchKOPOW!

Lol now you guys are making me doubt my own pick. But hey, if Vargas loses I'll enjoy it enough to where I won't even care about my pick. Omotoso does have pretty high KO ratio so you never know.

Comment

i think he's being trained by freddie roach..

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
                    i think he's being trained by freddie roach..
                    Oh, well that's really all we need to know then. That is like the kiss of death for boxers these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X