No announcement yet.

Andre Dirrell is BACK: 10-round decision over Michael Gbenga

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Dirrell is BACK: 10-round decision over Michael Gbenga

Apparently he's aiming for a world title shot by the end of 2013.

MCALLEN, TEXAS – Flint boxer Andre Dirrell returned to the ring after a 13-month layoff to win in dominating fashion.

Dirrell won a lopsided 10-round unanimous decision over Michael Gbenga at the Convention Center in McAllen, Texas on Saturday, Feb. 2. The final judges' scores were: 100-87, 100-87, and 100-88.

"The ring rust is gone," Dirrell said after the win. "I'm feeling great; I'm in tip top shape."

Dirrell (21-1, 14 KO's) was originally scheduled to face Milton Nunez but things changed at the last minute.

According to ************.com, Dirrell knocked Gbenga down with a beautiful right uppercut in the 9th, and had him staggering around.

"I could hit him flush at any one point so that kind of steered me away from using my jab and it was a brawl," Dirrell explained. "I was letting loose on him and trying to get him out of there but I just couldn't. I switched up on him, showed out and it went 10 rounds."

Floyd Mayweather Sr. worked closely with Dirrell for the full camp leading up to the bout but didn't appear in his corner for the actual fight. Dirrell confirmed that he and Mayweather Sr. decided to end their working relationship after the legendary trainer decided to work with another fighter on the same date. Dirrell's grandfather and head coach Leon "Bumper" Lawson in addition to Rodney Crisler assisted him in his corner.

Dirrell, 29, is currently in negotiations to fight again in March. Rowland Bryant will likely be his next opponent.

"We're going to get it done," Dirrell said. "We're aiming for a championship this year and I believe we can do it."

Pointless fight, i don't care how long he had off he shouldn't be fighting fighters that are that bad.

Comment

As long as Andre and/or his next opponent fight doesnt get in the way of me getting my ride to the airport im fine with it.

Comment

Wish there was some damn video of this...

Comment

Glad he's back, but Gbenga had no chance. Let's see him against George Groves or a rematch with Abraham.

Comment

An Arthur Abraham rematch would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by AM Boxing5 View Post
              An Arthur Abraham rematch would be great.
              More chance that i'll win the lottery than that will happen and i don't even play the lottery.

Comment

An abraham fight would be huge in Germany, but i doubt Dirrell would travel there.

Comment

call me when he's fighting someone inside the top 250

Comment

a brawl huh? ...turning it up? ..........trying to get him out of there?

vid or gtfo

Comment

Working...
                    X