No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather Sr: De La Hoya Tabbed Me To Train V. Ortiz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Mayweather Sr: De La Hoya Tabbed Me To Train V. Ortiz

On Wednesday afternoon, I caught up with outspoken trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. inside of Johnny Tocco's Boxing Gym in Las Vegas.

Following up on a report by my colleague Richard Powell that Mayweather had been approached to trainer former welterweight champion Victor Ortiz, I decided to speak with Senior myself to get his thoughts on all the talk.

True enough, Ortiz and his camp have reached out to Senior about the possibility of them working together and he seems open to the idea.

“His manager told me that Oscar De La Hoya is the one that recommended me to Victor,” said Mayweather, who for several years trained De La Hoya, now president of Golden Boy Promotions, who promotes Ortiz. [Click Here To Read More]

this won't end well

Comment

I don't know if that move would be wise for Ortiz. Floyd Sr is good at molding fighters from a young age. That's why Floyd Jr is so good. But he doesn't bring to the table what Ortiz needs right now as a fighter. Victor needs someone like Teddy Atlas, a no nonsense type of guy and a motivator. Victor needs someone to push him. The skills that Floyd Sr teaches has to be taught at a young age.

Comment

Victor seems a bit thick, he needs a Barry Hunter type of trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by jvsnypes View Post
          I don't know if that move would be wise for Ortiz. Floyd Sr is good at molding fighters from a young age. That's why Floyd Jr is so good. But he doesn't bring to the table what Ortiz needs right now as a fighter. Victor needs someone like Teddy Atlas, a no nonsense type of guy and a motivator. Victor needs someone to push him. The skills that Floyd Sr teaches has to be taught at a young age.
          disagree, Victor is fragil mentally and Atlas hardball insight to boxing might hurt instead of help .

Comment

Victor would have to do some humbling himself and not be a big cry baby and want to win it may work. He is a hot mess tho

Comment

Don't like it.

But maybe it'll work.

Comment

ortiz :-(

ortiz needs to hire merchant as a trainer. so he can continue his career as a announcer and permantnetly QUIT boxing.

Comment

All Sr.'s gonna do is eat Taco Bell and arrive late for training camp, setting up another Hatton-esque retirement for Ortiz.

*edit*

Scratch the last part... Ortiz will just quit before getting KTFO unless he eats another cheap shot or two.
                  Last edited by spoonwars; 09-27-2012, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Bad match up imo..... I see it not ending well with both sides blaming each other for the fiasco in the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X