No announcement yet.

So let's talk about Paul Williams and the Hall of Fame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Would you say Corrales had better wins than Winky, Martinez and the version of Margarito Paul fought?

I think Corrales wins over Castillo and Freitas were really good, his best wins, but they're not as good as Winky, Martinez, or 2007 Margarito.

Though I agree, neither will probably make it.
    im a huge winky fan, and i can tell u for certain winky was wayyyyy past it in the pwill fight. wasnt the same winky altho i think any version of winky would struggle with pwill. but to me, their resumes are very similar. im in the middle of the position u and DLT have taken.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
      Dont forget Casamayor. I also dont know if I put a ton of stock in that Winky win as much as I love Winky. Margarito is also another one of those wins where its like half of me gives him alot of credit and half of me thinks Margarito is one of the most overhyped boxers you will ever see
      That's true, Casamayor. I just remember his losses to Casa so I left him out. But Casamayor was def a good win.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Training View Post
        without a question in my opinion. this guy accomplished a boat load of success considering many fighters refused to fight him. i still remember seeing an interview with sugar shane mosley saying that paul williams would be the last guy he would like to face. this guy wanted all the big fights but always had a hard time getting them into the ring.
        I actually think a fight like Canelo atleast and maybe a subsuquent one couldve made it a more sure thing. It sucks

Comment

No good but not great fighter,who honestly i wanted to retire after Lara he sounded really punchy in interviews,anyway i hope he gets better and i pray for his family.

Comment

Nah.... I don't think so

Comment

I'm just gonna pick borderline. Taking the terrible qualifications of the boxing HOF, which is basically none. It's a popularity contest.

And DLT not all sports HOF are whack. The baseball HOF is a very strict HOF where only elites can get in. You gotta have at least 500 home runs, or 3,000 hits. As a pitcher, you need around 200+ plus wins, and closers rarely get in. It's very hard, there's certain numbers you have to put up to make it. In Boxing the standard is very low.

Comment

I wouldn't say so. His best win is Margarito and Martinez, which by themselves is very good. But the rest of his marquee wins have asterisks on them. Cintron ended by injury in which Cintron, in many observer's eyes was winning. Lara goes without saying and Winky was coming off of a layoff and really past prime. Even the first Martinez fight where he won was really questionable. The Quintana win is kinda eh as well, since it ended so fast that its really not as definitive as the 12 round schooling Quintana laid on him earlier.

If there was a Hall of Very Good, he can sit very comfortably in there and that is no shame either.

I hope he makes a full recovery, although I've read that chances are minimal. Very sad indeed. Every summer I go through the motions of obtaining my moto license, and then something tragic like this happens and I shelve the idea. Good Healing Punisher

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                  I wouldn't say so. His best win is Margarito and Martinez, which by themselves is very good. But the rest of his marquee wins have asterisks on them. Cintron ended by injury in which Cintron, in many observer's eyes was winning. Lara goes without saying and Winky was coming off of a layoff and really past prime. Even the first Martinez fight where he won was really questionable. The Quintana win is kinda eh as well, since it ended so fast that its really not as definitive as the 12 round schooling Quintana laid on him earlier.

If there was a Hall of Very Good, he can sit very comfortably in there and that is no shame either.

I hope he makes a full recovery, although I've read that chances are minimal. Very sad indeed. Every summer I go through the motions of obtaining my moto license, and then something tragic like this happens and I shelve the idea. Good Healing Punisher
                  That's reaching.

Let's just write off every 1st round KO now.

Comment

I'm just gonna pick borderline. Taking the terrible qualifications of the boxing HOF, which is basically none. It's a popularity contest.

And DLT not all sports HOF are whack. The baseball HOF is a very strict HOF where only elites can get in. You gotta have at least 500 home runs, or 3,000 hits. As a pitcher, you need around 200+ plus wins, and closers rarely get in. It's very hard, there's certain numbers you have to put up to make it. In Boxing the standard is very low.
                    Because its hard to make definite standards to hold. In baseball, there can only be one champ and the rest of those individual stats come from a traditional sense in which players past and present for the most part can be compared to.

In boxing, all these titles just make it hard to define greatness in terms of achievements. Its like yeah sure you have 20 IBF defenses, but so does the dude carrying the WBA and the dude carrying the WBC belt. Just makes a mess. I wish for a UFC style takeover of boxing (but that's way outside the thread. Sorry for derailing)

Comment

That's reaching.

Let's just write off every 1st round KO now.
                      Not really. In this particular case, we can't really say that Williams was Quintana's superior because in a rematch he just got him blitzing, whereas in the fight prior, it was 12 hard rounds of a boxing lesson.

I just think 12 rounds of a abuse is a better barometer than a 1 Round quick blitzing.

I always called for a rubber match to settle it. Shame, seemed as if Quintana was back on the scene.

Comment

Working...
                      X