Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20 Billion Contest: Did Larry Holmes Fight At A High Level Post-Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    THAT could be applied to ALL nuthuggers :chuckle9: That's how the detritus that lurks in the primordial pools of NSB see their favorite fighters.....as comic book heros

Poet
    They could run a series of comic books about some of them, a good idea for a thread eh. Maybe a Fkoyd Mayweather Vs The Penguin,.............------------------------------------------ Golden Oscar Man Vs Harvey Birdman ATTORNEY AT LAWWWWWWWW ,.....------------------------------ McGoorty Comics Pty Ltd.

Comment

That sounds like a claim you’d hear on youtube by the average 14 year old ending his transmission with TYSON4LYFE!

Most boxing fans who like Mike, still realise Holmes was a spent force at that stage….

Comment

Mike Tyson's a huge fan of Larry Holmes.

He told me personally in 2009 he feels he is the greatest Heavyweight ever and that he was honoured to share a ring with him. And the win didn't mean much (I knew this already)

So yeah, Tyson knows himself the win wasn't all that.

Comment

The Maurice Harris win was a total robbery too.

On thing though, Holmes was in much better shape when he fought Mercer compared to the one who fought Holmes. He didn't have time to get in top shape for Tyson after a long layoff.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Mike Tyson's a huge fan of Larry Holmes.

He told me personally in 2009 he feels he is the greatest Heavyweight ever and that he was honoured to share a ring with him. And the win didn't mean much (I knew this already)

So yeah, Tyson knows himself the win wasn't all that.
            Tyson has always been classier and FAR more objective then his rabid fans have been.

Poet

Comment

Giving this a bump since another thread on this topic has resurfaced

Poet

Comment

Larry Holmes had said openly in a ESPN interview that he was offered the Tyson fight twice and turned it down...he was retired. But when they offered it to him the 3rd time for 5 million (which was big money in the day) he said WTF and trained for all of 6 weeks after 2 years of retirement and inactivity. He showed up for the cheque only. It was never a big deal fight for Tyson.

Comment

Anyone who got in the ring with prime Holmes was in deep! Simple as that one of the best competitors EVER! If he didn't follow Ali he's be considered with Louis and Ali and Marciano etc even higher than he is now. It would be tuff on anyone follow Ali huge personality only J. Johnson could pull that off.
                  Tyson would be in deep with Larry, he'd have to come out strong and be non stop relentless smoothering Larry and stepping over to get off angled shots.
                  You could shake up Larry if you start that way but you better get it done too!
                  Inside 4 rounds Tyson has his shot, after that Larry is gonna be backing him off and Holmes had a very good upper cut and could throw his right hand from all the right angles.
                  Just watch Holmes vs Norton and you'll see to guys that happen to match up well and at that time Kenny was a hungry guy who felt he could hang with Larry and he was right! One of the very best Heaveyweight fights ever in my opinion.
                  Tyson always has the punchers chance but just remember when he gets hit he's not the same guy and Larry would hit him, more an more as the fight went on! I'll take Tyson in 2 after that Holmes stops him late!!

..............Big George wanted NO Part of Larry Holmes, thats the truth too!

Comment

How about this, Holmes fought at a high level "considering his age". To me I consider his win over Mercer and his loss to McCall his finest performances. Admittedly he no longer had the reflexes, speed or legs he had in the early 80's but the fact that he adjusted to his shortcomings and lasted as long as did was pretty amazing in my book. Even if his level of competition was not spectacular, compared to today's "convenient" matchmaking it isn't really that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                      Usually the claim is made to "prove" Holmes was a great win for Tyson :rolleyes9:

Poet
                      Nah, that wasn't a great win. A pretty good win maybe, but even that's stretching it a bit. It was a big name to put on Tyson's resume at the time.
                      At least Holmes put up some kind of a fight, unlike Michael Spinks, who Tyson beat to become Ring and lineal heavyweight champion.

Comment

Working...
                      X