No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cleverly - Starting To Build His Championship Legacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Cleverly - Starting To Build His Championship Legacy

By Thomas Gerbasi - As Nathan Cleverly sat in his London hotel room in May, just before what should have been the biggest moment of his career, he thought about packing his bags and heading back to Wales for a moment, and no one would have blamed him if he did.

He fulfilled his part of the bargain before his WBO light heavyweight bout against Germany’s Juergen Braehmer, training and showing up ready to make weight and fight. Brahmer didn’t, pulling out of the fight on the Wednesday before the opening bell.

The withdrawal saw Cleverly elevated from interim to full 175-pound champion, and he still wanted to fight, so his promoter, Frank Warren, found him an opponent in Commonwealth titlist Tony Bellew. Bellew didn’t make weight on Friday.

Strike two.

“It was difficult, a lot of changes,” said Cleverly. “I think I had been in training for four to five months for that fight (with Braehmer) because of a few cancellations and change of dates. I was actually in training camp for a very long time for one opponent, and when I hear about two days before the fight that the opponent doesn’t arrive in the country, it was a bit of a blow because you had your heart and your mind set on one individual. But this is boxing and sometimes you’ve got to deal with this. And then there was another change of opponent. In steps Tony Bellew, and he fails to make the fight unsurprisingly, and obviously we got another change. At one point I was in the hotel and I contemplated just packing up and going home because I thought the fight wasn’t going to take place, that it was too late notice to find and opponent.” [Click Here To Read More]

Championship legacy, is this a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
      No, there must be some new disease in the UK happening, in the last few months we have heart from

Haye "Im going to KO Vitali"

McKloskey "I made Amir Khan look average despite losing every round and getting KO'd"

DeGayle chit talking

Barker talking about him KO'ing Martinez (on fight night he just runs around with Guard up and QUIT)

Brook (talking crap)

Burns (talking crap)

Plus there was another UK twat talking alot of crap.

Whats up with all these UK bums talking crap? I wonder what their promoters are saying, none of these guys proved anything in their careers but talk more smack than someone like Fury/Froch/Khan

Comment

Well he has got a fight with Bellew now but that doesnt prove anything on the world stage.

Whilst I like Cleverley he still has a long way to go to prove his worth of being a World champion, he's yet to fight a world class oppent.

Comment

he hasn't done **** and already talking about retirement.lols

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
            Do you know what it takes to be a champion pal!! even if a guy has not fought recognised hard fights and named opposition the casual fan would not understand, it will always be a legacy to the fighter, maybe not the supporter .. he deserves respect for how he has handled his limited competition so far, he will be good to watch in a big dust up also .... seriously though, the deiscipline it takes to get to clev's level, is just one of many reasons you cant see why this man is building his legacy!

WAr Clevva's!

Comment

Originally posted by English puncher View Post
              Do you know what it takes to be a champion pal!! even if a guy has not fought recognised hard fights and named opposition the casual fan would not understand, it will always be a legacy to the fighter, maybe not the supporter .. he deserves respect for how he has handled his limited competition so far, he will be good to watch in a big dust up also .... seriously though, the deiscipline it takes to get to clev's level, is just one of many reasons you cant see why this man is building his legacy!

WAr Clevva's!
              After seeing your name I can understand your devoted blindness to the true facts. And I may be mistaken but not winning your alphabet strap in an actual fight and then defending it against a fighter not even ranked in the top 25, and not even looking all that good in the win, does little to help build a legacy. But, I guess to Cleverly and his fans it goes a long way.
              Last edited by Ravens Fan; 10-07-2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X