Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we too harsh on 'quitters' or are some of them inexcusable?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we too harsh on 'quitters' or are some of them inexcusable?

I often read a lot of negative posts about boxers who was perceived to have 'quit' at some point of his career. Are we too harsh on certain boxers who just gave up?

Victor Ortiz is a recent example. The guy had his jaw broken, was under an extreme amount of pain/stress and in my opinion it is perfectly understandable to quit in that situation.

Robert Duran and 'NO Mas' IN MY opinion is not understandable. (He made up for it later). Vitali and Chris Byrd is hard to figure out. Vitali during the Post-Fight interviews clearly stated that 'he did not know if he was winning the fight and that 'he don't want to go on because he don't want to take further risks'. The quote that really made me supsicious of Vitali's motives was this one

"After third round, I realize I couldn't withstand/fight SouthPaws" That don't really sound like the words of someone who had a 'torn cuff'. But once again he made up for it afterwards(just like Duran).

I guess if I see the VISUAL evidence of a boxer's physical deterioration in the ring, it is more acceptable because his very life is on the line. Harder to understand when the boxer seem fine and just decided he don't want to try anymore.

List some fighters quitting that is perfectly acceptable in your eyes and some that is just unacceptable.
    All of them are excusable. I'm not a fighter, I respect any who get in the ring.
    27.27%
    Depends on the situation and circumstances. Some will be excusable.Some won't
    69.70%
    None of them are excusable. You are a paid prize fighter.
    3.03%
    Last edited by WolfGirl; 11-20-2012, 02:45 PM.

its a slippery slope. i always say, dont quit no matter what, but its impossible to say unless you're in that situation. from the sidelines of course we all say its inexcusable, inside the squared circle, its a different story.

ortiz is different though. he has quit on numerous occasions, and that is inexcusable

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
      its a slippery slope. i always say, dont quit no matter what, but its impossible to say unless you're in that situation. from the sidelines of course we all say its inexcusable, inside the squared circle, its a different story.

ortiz is different though. he has quit on numerous occasions, and that is inexcusable
      Good post, but I must point out the Lopez fight is a 'slippery slope' as well. Ortiz did quit before and that make him prone to backlash more than others. But if you watched that fight (and you probably did) his jaw really was messed up and a few more punches from Lopez might seriously have injured him to a point where his career might have ended in his mid 20's.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfGirl View Post
        Good post, but I must point out the Lopez fight is a 'slippery slope' as well. Ortiz did quit before and that make him prone to backlash more than others. But if you watched that fight (and you probably did) his jaw really was messed up and a few more punches from Lopez might seriously have injured him to a point where his career might have ended in his mid 20's.
        true. i orginally was harsh on ortiz for that fight, but i see why he did what he did. thats not something to mess with. but still, its hard to choose a side so easily...

Comment

The demands made of elite professional boxers are unreasonable, but to a certain extent it is part and parcel of the sport. Guys are expected to take punishment and are glorified for it if they do.

As a regular 25 year old kid you can't slate Ortiz for reacting the way he did to a broken jaw, he could take damage in those last three rounds that would cause suffering for the rest of his life. As a fighter, it does speak to his heart which ultimately is one of a fighter's defining qualities.

Comment

Of course they shouldn't but easier said than done
            Ortiz against Lopez was ok in my opinion cos his jaw was ****ed but the fact he really left himself down against Maidana put a lot of extra criticism his way
            I know plenty will disagree but I think Oscar quit against Hopkins

Comment

if your gonna quit just dont be all smiles about it afterwards

Comment

It's easy to criticize someone for deciding not to continue fighting no matter what the cirumstances are. Most of us will never know what being in that situation is like. I tend to not voice my opinion on matters I can't relate to.

Comment

When Ortiz quit against maidana he pissed me off but for a guy to continue with a broken jaw is very hard especially when your defence isn't masterful

Comment

any fan that questions a fighters decision to stop fighting or quit is truly a stupid ******* who has no business watching the sport. Only that fighter knows what his/her body is experiencing in the ring. Respect their decision!

Comment

Working...
                    X