No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nevin's Medal Secured, Aiming To Go 'All The Way'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Nevin's Medal Secured, Aiming To Go 'All The Way'

Queen fan John Joe Nevin guaranteed Ireland their first Olympic medal of the Games on Sunday by reaching the men's bantamweight semi-finals, meaning he will leave London with at least a bronze.

On a momentous day for boxing when women entered an Olympic ring for the first time, it was the men's bantamweights who got to decide who would be the first fighters to win medals, with Britain, Cuba and Japan also booking their places on the podium.

Nevin said it felt amazing to secure only Ireland's fourth medal since the 2000 Sydney Games but quoting the famous British band whose hits have been used as entrance music at the boxing arena, the Irishman said he would not just settle for bronze.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Nevin is a masterboxer....the guy does everything great. Dominant win.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
      Nevin is a masterboxer....the guy does everything great. Dominant win.
      Really? He got knocked down by a hard punch to the liver and was gassing at the end of the fight ... He's good at amateur boxing, but I don't see him becoming a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
        Really? He got knocked down by a hard punch to the liver and was gassing at the end of the fight ... He's good at amateur boxing, but I don't see him becoming a pro.
        He didn't gas out, he was still throwing and landing more than his opponent. Whether he becomes a pro or not is his choice. And now he is guaranteed a medal.

Comment

Great stuff from John Joe as usaul great head and foot movement well placed shots variety off punches and showed heart too pull through that body shot

Comment

Originally posted by any craic lad? View Post
            Great stuff from John Joe as usaul great head and foot movement well placed shots variety off punches and showed heart too pull through that body shot
            I agree. He showed that he is the package. Full arsenal of punches and a fighting heart.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
              I agree. He showed that he is the package. Full arsenal of punches and a fighting heart.
              That body shot was brutal thought it was a low blow at first when i realised it wasnt i was ****ting it he had too really dig in for that last 40 seconds even pulled out a beauty off a counter as the mexican kid came in.

Comment

Working...
              X