No announcement yet.

I need help choosing a weight class for amateur boxing please help me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help choosing a weight class for amateur boxing please help me

I've been conditioning for boxing for a year already and i want to start amateur boxing, but I'm having a hard time deciding a weight class...I'm 21 years old and I'm 5'9" and I weigh 158-162 pounds...I'm just starting to notice my muscles ripping up...keep in mind that i did lose 54 pounds through out the year as well...I started personal training lastweek but my trainer doesnt know i want to take this seriously cuz i didnt tell him...he told me i should consider to do so because i have a very good "stiff jab"...I think i want to do amateur boxing, but i need your opinion about my weight class?
    Last edited by tito_bandito; 01-13-2010, 08:30 PM.

Don't worry about it right now. Worry about skill developement first. You're going to have to train for several months before you are ready to fight and you may gain or lose weight in that time.

The weight classes around your size are 152 and 165. You will be short for 165 but you would have to lose more weight to get down to 152. Just depends how much fat you still have on you.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottDBA View Post
      Don't worry about it right now. Worry about skill developement first. You're going to have to train for several months before you are ready to fight and you may gain or lose weight in that time.

The weight classes around your size are 152 and 165. You will be short for 165 but you would have to lose more weight to get down to 152. Just depends how much fat you still have on you.
      Thanks that helps a lot..i think i can drop to 154

Comment

Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
        Thanks that helps a lot..i think i can drop to 154

Worry about skills first, eat healthy, train hard, develop skills and see where your weight falls.

But based on what you said I think you will end up at 152, if you are walking at 158-62 now and stand at 5''9 152 sounds like your division if you train hard eat well etc etc You would probably be a bit undersized at 165 being 5''9 and already being 3-7 lbs under the limit.

Comment

Thanks man ima work hard and see where i go but i hope i can puah down to 152 like you said bro

Comment

Both are right plus know your body really well when your makin weight for a fight that's when you really know wich weight class you belong in.

Comment

yeah i was around ur weight and my coach told me to go to 152 its really not that hard to drop a couple more pounds but just practice training more then focusing on losing the weight u have a long time for that

Comment

in my experience just fight at a comfortable weight cause in amateurs imo weight shouldnt be taken as intensely and you should focus on your technique and conditioning first

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
                  in my experience just fight at a comfortable weight cause in amateurs imo weight shouldnt be taken as intensely and you should focus on your technique and conditioning first
                  Yeah, but when you start fighting in tournaments etc, you wouldn't want to be fighting at 165lbs weighing in at 158, you would try and drop down to 152.

Especially at 165, some of those guys there are damn big, the gap in size between the guys at 152 and the guys at 165 is huge.

Comment

Dood i havent weighed myself in two days and now i went to 164? I could be gaining muscle i dont feel slower

Comment

Working...
                    X