Seeking advice on proper stretching for running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice on proper stretching for running

as the title says.

I've started to run 2 miles a day in preparation for a career deciding physical fitness test in late october. (actually i do 2 miles on the local high school track, about 50% of it is running, 50% walking fast). Here's my problem....

about 2 weeks into starting my preparation, i;ve noticed a HUGE increase in my cardio. My first day of running/walking, i was only able to run about 1/4 to 1/2 lap before being gassed and having to walk for a half a lap to catch my breath. Now, about 2 weeks into it, yesterday, i was able to do an easy 2 laps with about a 1/4 lap fast walk to rest a little, then resume for a lap and a half, only to stop because of a cramp and because my legs started KILLING me. Now, my legs are VERY strong, and by far my best attribute physically. The problem i believe is that i dont stretch at all cause i really dont know how.

Can someone give me some advice on proper stretching to hopefully alleviate this pain? The lack of stretching im hoping is the problem and the cause, cause if it is not, i don't know what to do to fix it.

thanks in advance.

I had the same problem. I would run a half mile, then rest with a fast walk and then sprint.
    I found the resting in between was causing my cramps. Now I do .5 mile fast walk to warm up then .5 mile jog then what ever's left in the tank I run. The do a cool down lap. For me, the slowing down then resuming was causing my problems.

I just do the basic stretching before I start. Don't bounce when you stretch. Just an even amount of presure on the legs and joints. The old sit down and touch toes and deep knee bends seem to work for me.

Comment

cool, i hope thats the problem with my cramping, cause i hadn't eaten for about 2 hours before i went to run. I will try the walk half, jog half, run whatevers left routine. Thanks for the tip and i'll try the stretches as well!

Basically i can do about 1:55 per 1/4 mile lap right now on a good lap, and need to trim about 10 seconds off each lap or at least be able to lap in the 1:30's early on for a couple laps and slowly take a little longer. gotta do 6 laps (1.5 miles) in under 11:49 by the 3rd week in october!

Comment

Sounds like fun. I think you should be able to pass with no problem. I also started taking MSM with Glucosamine for joint pain and so far it's working. It's just a supplement you can get at wal-mart.

I can't believe how much better I feel now that I started running.

Comment

I've been told by some others that the cramping is likely caused by lack of potassium and to start eating a few bananas a day ... any input on that?

Comment

Originally posted by GeNeRaL
            I've been told by some others that the cramping is likely caused by lack of potassium and to start eating a few bananas a day ... any input on that?

That is true. Also lack of water....you need to stay hydrated.

Comment

It sounds like good advice. I'm no expert, I was only going by my personal experince.
              I used to hate running and now I look forward to it now that I've seen the results.

Comment

believe it or not, i have noticed results after just a couple weeks of this as well. I just feel so much better (besides the cramps and sore legs and all lol). I also look forward to it daily.

Comment

Run through your cramps thats what I do it really works - a while back I used to stop when I got a cramp and once I decided to just run throught the cramp it became very rare that I ever get cramps from running and when I do they really don't bother me.

Comment

Stretching's important, though. You really should. If for no other reason, no stretching means your muscles and tendons will just tighten up as you strengthen them, so you'll lose flexibility. Reduced flexibility means more chance of injury.

I do most of these stretches every time I train. Warm yourself up with a little light movement and cardio just to get the blood moving and the heart rate up (10 or 15 hindu squats work for me), then go through these stretches:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Comment

Working...
                    X