Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Margarito considering a Clottey fight and ignoring Williams?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guled View Post
    Has Margarito become the new Mayweather????
    whos that on your sig?

Comment

Originally posted by MaYaN_SuN View Post
      lol Anyone who thinks Antonio Margarito is going to pull a Floyd Mayweather and avoid Paul Williams is a ****in moron, or a trigger happy Mayweather fan.

All the Mayweather nutt-huggers could only wish they're fighter had the nerve to take on anyone and everyone.

I mean you notice how Tony has only been champ for a couple weeks if not less, and they're ALREADY tryin to criticize him...lol ****in corny ass boxing fans. You kids are lameee. lol Our fighter took on the best in America all the way to Puerto Rico and still pulled out positive. You're favorite fighters run in fights, pitty patt grown men, and don't fight ANYONEEEE.

lol And it's just 2 weeks since Tony got the crown, and they're tryin to discredit Margarito and call him out.

****in rats, the lot of em lol.

greatest post ever

Comment

Originally posted by MaYaN_SuN View Post
        lol Anyone who thinks Antonio Margarito is going to pull a Floyd Mayweather and avoid Paul Williams is a ****in moron, or a trigger happy Mayweather fan.

All the Mayweather nutt-huggers could only wish they're fighter had the nerve to take on anyone and everyone.

I mean you notice how Tony has only been champ for a couple weeks if not less, and they're ALREADY tryin to criticize him...lol ****in corny ass boxing fans. You kids are lameee. lol Our fighter took on the best in America all the way to Puerto Rico and still pulled out positive. You're favorite fighters run in fights, pitty patt grown men, and don't fight ANYONEEEE.

lol And it's just 2 weeks since Tony got the crown, and they're tryin to discredit Margarito and call him out.

****in rats, the lot of em lol.
        good post bro. agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by El 7 Mares View Post
          Let me tell you why.

Joshua Clottey just fought a main event against the former WW Champion, Zab Judah on HBO and won. He is on a winning streak and hasn't lost a fight since Tony Margarito in '06.

Paul Williams' last two fights were on Showtime. Neither of which was the main event. He lost the first one, with a horrible showing, and didn't show much in the rematch, which could be considered a fluke, with Quintana not being properly warmed up.

If Williams wants to raise his value, he needs to seek a 3rd fight with Quintana or a slugfest against Kermit Cintron. This fight needs to happen on HBO, preferibly on a doubleheader with Tony vs Clottey. Then maybe if he wins, a fight with Tony would be more sellable to the general public.
          Arum's personal vendetta nixes potential Margarito-Williams rematch
          Aug. 6, 2008
          By Robert Morales
          Special to CBSSports.com

From a practical standpoint, even Paul Williams admitted that no one can blame fellow welterweight world champion Antonio Margarito for wanting to fight Oscar De La Hoya. Anyone who steps into the ring with De La Hoya makes his biggest payday.

"Business-wise, I understand that," Williams said.

But Williams said that doesn't mean Margarito-De La Hoya would be a better fight than one between him and Margarito.

"It's not a good fight," he said, referring to a possible, yet improbable, Margarito-De La Hoya fight. "Everybody knows Oscar puts on a good fight, but he fades late. But with me, we going to fight the whole 12 rounds."

In short, Williams said Tuesday, he would like to see the two best welterweights in the world square off to see who indeed is the top dog in the division. To him and many experts, that would be him and Margarito, who is coming off an 11th-round technical knockout of Miguel Cotto on July 26.

"We the two biggest names out there at 147 since Floyd Mayweather left, so why can't we fight to see who the best is?" Williams said.

Alas, there is one big obstacle getting in the way of a $4 million offer made by Team Williams to Team Margarito for a rematch of their July 2007 fight won by Williams via decision. And it's not De La Hoya, who appears headed toward a farewell fight with Manny Pacquiao.

Representatives of those respective fighters -- meaning Richard Schaefer of De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions and Bob Arum (who promotes Pacquiao) of Top Rank Inc. -- are scheduled to meet this week to try and make De La Hoya-Pacquiao a done deal for Dec. 6. The chances of that fight being made are good, meaning Margarito is free to try and avenge his loss to Williams.

But Arum -- who also promotes Margarito -- and Team Williams recently went through unsuccessful negotiations for a Kelly Pavlik-Williams fight that left Arum with a sour taste in his mouth. And late Tuesday night, Arum said that taste still exists and he will not do business with the Williams camp again.

First things first. Arum, who promotes Pavlik as well, told this reporter after a hoped-for Pavlik-Williams accord blew up that in his mind Williams and his team never had any intention of fighting Pavlik.

"I think my chain was being jerked the whole time," Arum said last month. "And I'll remember that if they ever want to fight Cotto or Margarito, whoever wins that fight ... because no one is going to jerk my chain like they did. When you agree to everything that they ask for and then they don't want the fight, you have to believe that your chain was jerked."

Arum and Williams' promoter, Dan Goossen, each had his different side of the story as to why Pavlik-Williams fell apart. Arum said he offered the Williams camp all it wanted, but Goossen at the time said that was not the case, that Team Williams wanted $2.5 million and was initially offered $1.5 million. Goossen said during a press luncheon Tuesday at a Los Angeles-area restaurant that the sides ended up about $250,000 apart.

Williams is managed by George Peterson and advised by Al Haymon. Peterson was on deck at Sisley Italian Kitchen on Tuesday, and he said there was an additional reason Pavlik-Williams did not get made.

"They realized Paul was a threat to (Pavlik) and they were looking for a way out," Peterson said, putting the blame on Team Pavlik.
          Advertisement

Well, guess what? Unless Arum has a big change of heart, Margarito-Williams II is not going to happen. Hours after Tuesday's gathering at the aforementioned restaurant, Arum returned a phone call. He said he sent a letter to Goossen later Tuesday afternoon letting him know that he has no intention of making this fight because of what transpired during the Pavlik-Williams parlay.

"Absolutely not," Arum said. "I wrote a letter today telling him I will not be involved with the Williams camp after the way they jerked me around and screwed around for two weeks. I will never forget that. A Margarito-Williams fight will never happen."

Arum, however, was quick to add he does not hold Goossen accountable for what went on during the Pavlik-Williams talks.

"I don't blame Goossen," Arum said. "He is the puppet, he is not the puppeteer. Goossen got played, too."

Arum was asked if he was saying that Haymon was the "puppeteer."

"That's what I'm implying," Arum said.

Well, that blows all to heck what Goossen said earlier Tuesday during a festive event. Goossen said that promoters should not let personal vendettas prevent them from making fights the public wants to see. And he's right when he says the public would want to see a rematch between Margarito and Williams, especially if it can't get Margarito-De La Hoya.

Of course, Goossen knew Arum had hard feelings stemming from the Pavlik-Williams fiasco. What he didn't know at the time was that Arum was drafting the letter that would, at least for now, crush Margarito-Williams II.

"I'm sure there is," said Goossen, when asked if there was an issue with Arum's indignation. "But that issue, there is no issue. What, is George Steinbrenner not going to play the L.A. Dodgers because the Dodgers' GM signed somebody George Steinbrenner wanted?"

In other words, Goossen said, this is not about Arum being peeved at Williams' people, it's about giving the public the best fight available in the welterweight division.

It would be three-time champion Margarito against two-time champion Williams. Both have come back to redeem themselves -- Margarito from Williams and Williams from Carlos Quintana -- and they are inarguably the two best in the division. Mix in Williams' victory over Margarito 13 months ago, and the ingredients are there for a terrific event.

It shouldn't matter, Goossen said, "that he doesn't like me or Al. I just offered him four million reasons why he should love us."

Well, Arum has enough money, so he can tell Team Williams where to put that $4 million. Apparently, that's what he's doing.

Comment

Margo won't be ducking anyone, it's just not in his nature. Will he take a few money fights before facing Williams...of course, why shouldn't he?... he deserves it, it's his turn to shine. He'll take the long route and smack a few clowns up before rematching Williams and then doing the same, so I hope you're not waiting around for a disappointment too long.

Williams is a good fighter and person, he's good for the sport, he just has to wait his turn now like everyone else.
            Last edited by benray4fun; 08-07-2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelon Psyclone View Post
              Aug. 6, 2008
              By Robert Morales
              Special to CBSSports.com

From a practical standpoint, even Paul Williams admitted that no one can blame fellow welterweight world champion Antonio Margarito for wanting to fight Oscar De La Hoya. Anyone who steps into the ring with De La Hoya makes his biggest payday.

But Williams said that doesn't mean Margarito-De La Hoya would be a better fight than one between him and Margarito.

"It's not a good fight," he said, referring to a possible, yet improbable, Margarito-De La Hoya fight. "Everybody knows Oscar puts on a good fight, but he fades late. But with me, we going to fight the whole 12 rounds."

In short, Williams said Tuesday, he would like to see the two best welterweights in the world square off to see who indeed is the top dog in the division. To him and many experts, that would be him and Margarito, who is coming off an 11th-round technical knockout of Miguel Cotto on July 26.

"We the two biggest names out there at 147 since Floyd Mayweather left, so why can't we fight to see who the best is?" Williams said.

Alas, there is one big obstacle getting in the way of a $4 million offer made by Team Williams to Team Margarito for a rematch of their July 2007 fight won by Williams via decision. And it's not De La Hoya, who appears headed toward a farewell fight with Manny Pacquiao.

Representatives of those respective fighters -- meaning Richard Schaefer of De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions and Bob Arum (who promotes Pacquiao) of Top Rank Inc. -- are scheduled to meet this week to try and make De La Hoya-Pacquiao a done deal for Dec. 6. The chances of that fight being made are good, meaning Margarito is free to try and avenge his loss to Williams.

But Arum -- who also promotes Margarito -- and Team Williams recently went through unsuccessful negotiations for a Kelly Pavlik-Williams fight that left Arum with a sour taste in his mouth. And late Tuesday night, Arum said that taste still exists and he will not do business with the Williams camp again.

First things first. Arum, who promotes Pavlik as well, told this reporter after a hoped-for Pavlik-Williams accord blew up that in his mind Williams and his team never had any intention of fighting Pavlik.

"I think my chain was being jerked the whole time," Arum said last month. "And I'll remember that if they ever want to fight Cotto or Margarito, whoever wins that fight ... because no one is going to jerk my chain like they did. When you agree to everything that they ask for and then they don't want the fight, you have to believe that your chain was jerked."

Arum and Williams' promoter, Dan Goossen, each had his different side of the story as to why Pavlik-Williams fell apart. Arum said he offered the Williams camp all it wanted, but Goossen at the time said that was not the case, that Team Williams wanted $2.5 million and was initially offered $1.5 million. Goossen said during a press luncheon Tuesday at a Los Angeles-area restaurant that the sides ended up about $250,000 apart.

Williams is managed by George Peterson and advised by Al Haymon. Peterson was on deck at Sisley Italian Kitchen on Tuesday, and he said there was an additional reason Pavlik-Williams did not get made.

"They realized Paul was a threat to (Pavlik) and they were looking for a way out," Peterson said, putting the blame on Team Pavlik.
              Advertisement

Well, guess what? Unless Arum has a big change of heart, Margarito-Williams II is not going to happen. Hours after Tuesday's gathering at the aforementioned restaurant, Arum returned a phone call. He said he sent a letter to Goossen later Tuesday afternoon letting him know that he has no intention of making this fight because of what transpired during the Pavlik-Williams parlay.

"Absolutely not," Arum said. "I wrote a letter today telling him I will not be involved with the Williams camp after the way they jerked me around and screwed around for two weeks. I will never forget that. A Margarito-Williams fight will never happen."

Arum, however, was quick to add he does not hold Goossen accountable for what went on during the Pavlik-Williams talks.

"I don't blame Goossen," Arum said. "He is the puppet, he is not the puppeteer. Goossen got played, too."

Well, that blows all to heck what Goossen said earlier Tuesday during a festive event. Goossen said that promoters should not let personal vendettas prevent them from making fights the public wants to see. And he's right when he says the public would want to see a rematch between Margarito and Williams, especially if it can't get Margarito-De La Hoya.

Of course, Goossen knew Arum had hard feelings stemming from the Pavlik-Williams fiasco. What he didn't know at the time was that Arum was drafting the letter that would, at least for now, crush Margarito-Williams II.

"I'm sure there is," said Goossen, when asked if there was an issue with Arum's indignation. "But that issue, there is no issue. What, is George Steinbrenner not going to play the L.A. Dodgers because the Dodgers' GM signed somebody George Steinbrenner wanted?"

In other words, Goossen said, this is not about Arum being peeved at Williams' people, it's about giving the public the best fight available in the welterweight division.

It would be three-time champion Margarito against two-time champion Williams. Both have come back to redeem themselves -- Margarito from Williams and Williams from Carlos Quintana -- and they are inarguably the two best in the division. Mix in Williams' victory over Margarito 13 months ago, and the ingredients are there for a terrific event.

It shouldn't matter, Goossen said, "that he doesn't like me or Al. I just offered him four million reasons why he should love us."

Well, Arum has enough money, so he can tell Team Williams where to put that $4 million. Apparently, that's what he's doing.
              Team Williams wanted $2.5 million and was initially offered $1.5 million.

$1.5 million would have been Williams HIGHEST payday yet.

Pavlik is looking for a way out? Pavlik would give William's brain damage.

Winky Wright is now calling William's BLUFF.

Now I hear team williams wants to face their mandatory Michael Jennings or some ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelon Psyclone View Post
                Aug. 6, 2008
                By Robert Morales
                Special to CBSSports.com

Advertisement

Sureno??????????

Comment

Do you feel the need to defend Margarito in every instance?

Comment

Originally posted by lefhooktodabody View Post
                    Do you feel the need to defend Margarito in every instance?
                    I think he's a low-key Viva Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by El 7 Mares View Post
                      Let me tell you why.

Joshua Clottey just fought a main event against the former WW Champion, Zab Judah on HBO and won. He is on a winning streak and hasn't lost a fight since Tony Margarito in '06.

Paul Williams' last two fights were on Showtime. Neither of which was the main event. He lost the first one, with a horrible showing, and didn't show much in the rematch, which could be considered a fluke, with Quintana not being properly warmed up.

If Williams wants to raise his value, he needs to seek a 3rd fight with Quintana or a slugfest against Kermit Cintron. This fight needs to happen on HBO, preferibly on a doubleheader with Tony vs Clottey. Then maybe if he wins, a fight with Tony would be more sellable to the general public.
                      **** all that

Clottey isn't offering Marge 4 million.

4 mil is more than Tony has even made.

Paul Williams HAS YOU SHOOK...you want him to fight everybody but the TIJUANA TROPICAL DEPRESSION.

Tony talked all that **** about Floyd being a ducker..now HE'S the one CLUCKING and DUCKING.

Comment

Working...
                      X