The best & worst of 2012, according to me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
    well done bro

Danny Garcia is my pick for fighter of the year but I will not argue with anybody picking the GREAT Marquez....Donaire is the one I have a problem with dudes picking...Flash did his thing this year but IMHO, not even being bias, Danny made the most noise and I would also give Lopez the upset of the year for his win over Ortiz...other than that I can rock with those picks
    seriously?

morales was a corpse and khan is overrated and was coming off a loss. not saying its not a good win because it is, hes not as good as ppl think but hes still pretty good. still its not even close to making garcia fighter of the year, hes not even in contention.

lopez beatig ortiz wasnt a suprise to me at all so i have a hard time picking it as upset of the year, it might have been a shocker to some other ppl though. for me its probably bailey-jones, i knew bailey had the power to do that to jones or anyone else but it was still shocking when he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      Upset of the year is Jaro KOing Pongsaklek Wonjongkam by a massive land slide
      Totally forgot about that. Still, the magnitude of the pac Bradley fight probably makes it the front runner.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
        Totally forgot about that. Still, the magnitude of the pac Bradley fight probably makes it the front runner.
        Great thread dude. Liked your selections.

Comment

Good thread.

Comment

Agree about Jaro-Wonjongkam as upset of the year.

Also, my "how the hell is this guy on TV?" award...Mercito Gesta...every time I've seen him I just shake my head in wonder.

Comment

Am I the only one who didn't think Berto-Guerrero was that great a fight, especially in the first half? Pacquiao-Marquez 4 was far more exciting for the six rounds it took place, Viloria-Marquez was better actionwise too.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                Upset of the year is Jaro KOing Pongsaklek Wonjongkam by a massive land slide
                no, it's gotta be Wongjongkam losing by TKO to a fighter with a 17-20 record. I can't remember any fighter who was p4p top ten losing to a fighter with a losing record even when they were washed up, especially by knockout holy shiiit.

anyway, good picks OP. Just a few more. NSB overhyped fighter of the year award goes to Gennady Golovkin, yet having said he would win the award for most avoided fighter of the year after collective efforts made by middleweights including Martinez, Geale, Sturm, Quillin, and Pirog to not sign on to fight him.
                Prospect of the year I would give to Keith Thurman, he looked like the total package against Carlos Quintana and I expect him to win a title in 2013.
                Most ****ed over fighter of the year is Gabriel Campillo who got absolutely robbed in a fight with Tavoris Cloud and then could not line up a fight for the rest of the year.
                John Ruiz-"Huggy bear" fighter of the year goes to Carlos Molina for his awful performance against James Kirkland(albeit a performance that should have resulted in a W).
                Time to hang 'em up award goes to Erik Morales, though I think he's listening this time. So good people think he's on something award passes over from Pacquiao to Marquez this year.
                Boxing commentator of the year award goes to Al Bernstein, I think he's done some great analysis for recent fights.
                Most improved fighter award goes to JCC jr. who went from being a plodding hypejob to a bona fide top five middleweight under the tutelage of Freddie Roach and had he not been busted with marijuana he would have gained a lot in his defeat to Martinez.

Surprise fighter of the year goes to Danny Garcia, who would of thought he'd be Ring Magazine champ of one of the best divisions in boxing? Your KO runner-up vids reminded me that Shinsuke Yamanaka has had a great year, going from a virtual unknown to possibly the main guy at 118lbs. Another bantamweight who deserves a special mention for one of the fighters of the year is Leo Santa Cruz, fighting 5 times this year, and 6 times in the past 13 months against top caliber opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                  Weird thing about the Arce KO...when Donaire threw the punch Arce had his hands up and had he left them up the punch that KO'd him would have landed on his glove...but he decided to drop his hand while the punch was being thrown. The rest is history.

He didn't just drop it for no reason. Looks like he saw an opening and was going to throw a left of his own but was way too slow.

Comment

Nice list.

Golovkin so exciting he beat Proksa twice!

Wannabe Chinese award runner up: Robert Guerrero.

Biggest upset could be Marquez over Pac, Garcia KO Khan or Josesito TKO Ortiz.

Biggest mismatch was Canelo over Josesito.

I like the Bailey KO. It wasnt like the Pac KO but you could tell it had so much power even in slo mo. It lifted Jones off his feet, crazy power.

Think there has to be a "Career in Reverse" award too and Jesse Vargas needs to win it.

Who do you got for "Needs to retire" award ? I say Baldomir.

Cool list.

Comment

I disagree with nacho being trainer of the year. Lettuce be real, wtf did he tell/teach marquez that he didnt tell marquez he first three fights?

No....that victory was simply because of marquez. He was the one in the ring getting busted up, and caught pacquiao when pacquiao was getting careless. Hes a great fighter, who got a good punch in.

Comment

Working...
                      X